DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/156530-what-basic-difference-between-orbital-buffer-sorbital-sander.html)

[email protected] May 7th 06 09:02 PM

What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander

I was wondering what is the difference - Buffer says it can sand but
Sander does not say it can be a buffer?

charlie b May 7th 06 10:26 PM

What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander

Buiffer is usually bigger 6-8", OS (orbital sanders) &
ROS (Random Orbital Sanders) 5 - 6".

OS & ROS sanders have holes in the base, paper does too,
and the cooling fan sucks air through the base - collecting
"some" of the generated sawdust in a cartridge or cloth filter.
Buffers don't need that capability so don't have it.

Buffers often two handers, sanders other than belt
sanders are mainly one handers.

Some ROS have variable speed. Not sure buffers do.

You can get buffing pads for OS and ROS.

charlie b

Andy Dingley May 8th 06 01:50 AM

On 7 May 2006 13:02:18 -0700, wrote:

I was wondering what is the difference - Buffer says it can sand but
Sander does not say it can be a buffer?

Orbital sanders are totally different beasts to buffers/polishers - and
I've never seen an orbital polisher.

Polishers are a disk sander mechanism. They have a simple geared
rotation that causes a 6" pad to rotate in circles at around 3000 rpm.
With a rubber backing pad and abrasive they're a disk sander, with a
lambswool bonnet and a polishing compound, they're a buffer. Typically
they're manufactured with a lightweight 9" angle grinder mechanism
geared down from 6000rpm to 3000rpm.

An orbital sander doesn't rotate, it oscillates in a small circle
(coupel of mm across). The mechanism is a crank and oscillating bob
weight, not a rotating shaft.

Although simple orbitals are regarded as crude and prone to making
scratches, they're far easier to handle than a rotating disk sander. Rub
the edge of a dsk sander and you burn a large gouge almost immedately.
Polishing isn't too hazardous, as the compounds are soft and slower
acting, but you still need to be careful to keep that polishing bonnet
flat on the workpiece and not tilt all the load onto an edge.

[email protected] May 8th 06 01:58 AM

What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander

Thanks for the info

this is an orbital polisher

https://www.wenproducts.com/index.as...WPROD&ProdID=2

CW May 8th 06 03:17 AM

What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander

Put a wool pad on the sander. It'll buff.

ups.com...

Andy Dingley May 10th 06 01:05 AM

On 7 May 2006 17:58:52 -0700, wrote:

this is an orbital polisher
https://www.wenproducts.com/index.as...WPROD&ProdID=2

Looks like a cheap orbital sander mechanism with a polishing bonnet
bundled with it.

Probably does something, but I can't say it fills me with joy at the
prospect of using it.

[email protected] May 10th 06 02:11 AM

What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander

It is actually the one that is highly recommended to polish pinball
machines. The 4" size is perfect for getting into tight spots and the
orbital movement is important for playfields. I was just trying to
understand why a sander would not work.

Mike Marlow May 10th 06 10:04 AM

What is the basic difference between orbital buffer and a sorbital sander

wrote in message
ups.com...
It is actually the one that is highly recommended to polish pinball
machines. The 4" size is perfect for getting into tight spots and the
orbital movement is important for playfields. I was just trying to
understand why a sander would not work.

Compare the rotational speeds between a sander and a buffer. I don't know
myself, but I would suspect there may be a difference - the sander being
perhaps slower.

--

-Mike-