Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Sauerwein

Default Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland

I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers!

Thanks

Tim
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

I really like eastern white cedar for outdoor projects. I would not bury it
in the ground though. Here in Maine it is $1/bf at the mill.
Dave
"Tim Sauerwein" wrote in message
I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers!

Thanks

Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Sauerwein

Thanks Dave,

I never heard of this wood. Is it only in Maine? The price sounds
right!

Tim

In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

I really like eastern white cedar for outdoor projects. I would not bury it
in the ground though. Here in Maine it is $1/bf at the mill.
Dave
"Tim Sauerwein" wrote in message
I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers!

Thanks

Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Sauerwein wrote:
I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers!

They have WRC at Lowe's. Not sure of the pricing and only in
1x.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Sun, 07 May 2006 21:12:40 GMT, Han wrote:

I want to make a very simple garden bench from cedar from a magazine
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/bench30.pdf But I can't find
cedar around NJ zip 07410 crying

Han,

Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough NJ, about
an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had several woods suitable
for outdoor projects, including cedars and cypress.

You can also plug your ZIP code into Woodfinder http://www.woodfinder.com and
see what suppliers are listed in your area. Its not necessarily a complete
listing, but you might find what you need.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus

Art Greenberg wrote:
On Sun, 07 May 2006 21:12:40 GMT, Han wrote:

I want to make a very simple garden bench from cedar from a magazine
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/bench30.pdf But I can't find
cedar around NJ zip 07410 crying

Han,

Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough NJ, about
an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had several woods suitable
for outdoor projects, including cedars and cypress.

Art,

Where in Hillsborough?

I need some cypress myself.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 8 May 2006 06:15:13 -0700, Gus wrote:
Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough NJ, about
an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had several woods suitable
for outdoor projects, including cedars and cypress.

Art,

Where in Hillsborough?
I need some cypress myself.
Thanks

Gus, Agincourt is at 212 E. Mountain Road. Best to call before you visit.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han

Art Greenberg wrote in
:

On 8 May 2006 06:15:13 -0700, Gus wrote:
Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough
NJ, about an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had
several woods suitable for outdoor projects, including cedars and
cypress.

Art,

Where in Hillsborough?
I need some cypress myself.
Thanks

Gus, Agincourt is at 212 E. Mountain Road. Best to call before you
visit.

Thanks Art!

--
Best regards