Posted to rec.woodworking
Sasha

Default MinWax Wipe-on poly problem

I have problem with applying MinWax Wipe-on poly. I put two coats of
MinWax oil based stain on cherry doors. Then I put three coats of wipe
on poly using cotton rugs. Two coats went very well but the third one
gave very bad white power like spots. Just couple of days before I
finished another portion of cherry doors also with two coats of stain
followed by three coats of wipe on poly and everything was fine. The
problem with white power like spots with poly application is already
second time that happens to me. Last year I had the same problem with
finishing pine nightstand. I don't know why this happened and how to
remove it. Is there any solution that allows removing poly without
damaging stained wood? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Sasha wrote:
...white power like spots

little... swastikas?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
MB

If the spots only occured on the thrid coat, then you can probably sand
the last coat off. As long as you don't sand through all the poly
layers, you won't affect the stain.

Did you do anything to the surface in between the 2nd and 3rd poly
coats? How big were these spots? are they all in one area, or evenly
spread out? How many spots do you have? Are they close together?

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sasha

First I am sorry I mispelled the word "powder". The spots cover around
5% of surface and look like a white film that appear in a dozen or so
places.I called MinWax and they told me it is probably moisture trapped
underneath the third coat. Though I really doubt where the moisture
came from since I rubbed poly in full sun on sunny day and temerature
was around 66F.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

I'm wondering if the cotton rags could be the issue? But it looks like
it would have showed up after the first coat....

I have had trouble handling stained wood with gloves that leaves tiny
little fibres in the finish.

Ron T