DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   a carpentry terminology question. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/155676-carpentry-terminology-question.html)

[email protected] May 1st 06 06:16 AM

a carpentry terminology question.

this was forwarded to me... I guess somebody thinks I'm an expert or
something, but I don't have an answer. so what do y'all think?

This has been bothering me for a few years. Their are a
pair of words used in carpentry, and I can't for the life of me,
recall what these two words are. I had heard them many years
ago, and they have escaped my memory. If anybody can tell me
what these two words are, I would much appreciate it.
I recall that they were one syllable words. The word
"kerf" comes to mind, and that word may be similar to the words I
am looking for, but the word "kerf" means somthing entirely different.

When making certain cuts with a circular saw, the saw
doesn't make a straight butt edge at the end of the cut, due to the
circular nature of the blade. There is a little piece of wood
left over, which generally needs to be cut with a hand saw, to make
the end of the cut straight, yet not "overcutting" into the piece
you want to save.
There is a specific WORD for this little leftover piece of
wood. What is that word?

This word actually comes as a pair of words. In
different cuts of wood, there is complimentary piece leftover
wood, not the inside leftover piece, but an outside leftover piece,
which also has it's own name. That would be the other word I am
looking for.

I have often heard, when a person doesn't know how to
spell a word, someone will tell them "look it up in the
dictionary". Well, how are they suppose to look it up if they
don't know how to spell it?
I sometimes wish there were a "back door" to the
dictionary. When you know the definition of a word, but you don't
know the word, there should be some way to look it up.

[email protected] May 2nd 06 04:08 AM

a carpentry terminology question.

nobody else has a name for that little remainder either, eh?

[email protected] May 2nd 06 04:27 AM

wrote:
nobody else has a name for that little remainder either, eh?

I guess not...

Myself, I never knew that little piece had a name; I've heard it just
called the drop or waste or somesuch, even though those are general
terms not specific to that, um, thing.

-Phil Crow

RicodJour May 2nd 06 04:48 AM

wrote:
nobody else has a name for that little remainder either, eh?

Not me. Looks like you can claim discovery by christening it with some
variant of your name. Kerf bridger? Works for me. ;)

Guess who May 2nd 06 01:39 PM

On 1 May 2006 20:27:25 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
nobody else has a name for that little remainder either, eh?

I guess not...

Myself, I never knew that little piece had a name; I've heard it just
called the drop or waste or somesuch, even though those are general
terms not specific to that, um, thing.

It doesn't. Not everything needs a name where a description will do.
When you clip your toenails and the first cut is incomplete, and
leaves a bit hanging until you nip it off, that doesn't have a name
either. It's just chatter for the sake of chatter.

BuilderBob46 May 2nd 06 02:09 PM

a carpentry terminology question.

In the days of the great explorers, the discoverer of an unnamed land
got to name it. Go for it.