DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/155615-sander-problem-adhesive-sand-paper-falls-off.html)

[email protected] April 30th 06 09:52 PM

Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off

Hi,

I just purchased a used craftsman sander designed to work with adhesive
sandpaper. But the sand paper stays on for about a minute or so and
falls off. I cleaned the surface of the sander very thoroughly and I
think it's very clean. It used to have some gunk on it and I clean it
with mineral spirits and let it dry for a comple of days. I also tried
vacuuming it to make sure that there is now dust in it.

The sand paper that I'm using is pretty old, came with the sander, but
sticks on fine initially before falling off.

What is the likeliest culprit here?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

[email protected] April 30th 06 11:51 PM

On 30 Apr 2006 13:52:09 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I just purchased a used craftsman sander designed to work with adhesive
sandpaper. But the sand paper stays on for about a minute or so and
falls off. I cleaned the surface of the sander very thoroughly and I
think it's very clean. It used to have some gunk on it and I clean it
with mineral spirits and let it dry for a comple of days. I also tried
vacuuming it to make sure that there is now dust in it.

The sand paper that I'm using is pretty old, came with the sander, but
sticks on fine initially before falling off.

What is the likeliest culprit here?

Old glue that's dried out. Try spraying some contact cement on it or
on the platen or both. If that doesn't work then you already know how
to clean with mineral spirits. Also some old 'adhesives' were some
waxy based stuff; don't know if that's what you have.

[email protected] May 1st 06 01:02 AM

Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off

Thank you!

MikeMac May 1st 06 03:31 AM

Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off

You might also look at buying a 'conversion' kit.. essentially an adhesive
hook & loop pad.. that lets you use hook & loop sanding disks.. easier to
change back and forth

Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you!

Fly-by-Night CC May 1st 06 05:45 PM

Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off

In article . net,
"CW" wrote:

Buy new paper. Adhesives have a shelf life. Sounds like yours are past it.

If one has a largish quantity of older sticky-backs that aren't anymore,
Napa Auto Parts sells a small spray can of disk adhesive.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05