Posted to rec.woodworking
Evon Barvinchack

Default weight of plywood

Does anyone know the approx. wt of a treated 4x8 3/4" sheet of plywood? I'm
making a box for my forklift and need to figure my max wt lift. Thanks in
advance.

----

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Evon Barvinchack" wrote in message
ink.net...
Does anyone know the approx. wt of a treated 4x8 3/4" sheet of plywood?
I'm
making a box for my forklift and need to figure my max wt lift. Thanks in
advance.

----

80-100lbs if still wet

That said, if you are operating your fork lift to within the weight of a
piece of plywood of its limits, you are operation in dangerous territory.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:11:06 GMT, "Evon Barvinchack"
wrote:

Does anyone know the approx. wt of a treated 4x8 3/4" sheet of plywood? I'm
making a box for my forklift and need to figure my max wt lift. Thanks in
advance.

Since the species and moisture content are unknown the worst case
would be to assume it's 100% water. The volume is 2 cu ft, so figure
the weight as 2 * 62 lb.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Evon Barvinchack

Thanks for your replies. I want to plug in the wt of a worker, tools,
material and the wt of plywood box. I wanted to make sure that the total
weight did'nt exceed it's safe lift capacity. As the plywood dries it will
become lighter. Just trying to out smart "Murphy's Law"!

wrote:

Does anyone know the approx. wt of a treated 4x8 3/4" sheet of plywood?

I'm
making a box for my forklift and need to figure my max wt lift. Thanks

in
advance.

Since the species and moisture content are unknown the worst case
would be to assume it's 100% water. The volume is 2 cu ft, so figure
the weight as 2 * 62 lb.

----

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:38:02 +0000, Evon Barvinchack wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I want to plug in the wt of a worker, tools,
material and the wt of plywood box. I wanted to make sure that the total
weight did'nt exceed it's safe lift capacity. As the plywood dries it will
become lighter. Just trying to out smart "Murphy's Law"!

Workers should not be elevated on the forks of a forklift. A forklift
doesn't have a holding (lock) valve in the lift system and is not designed
for a person to be on or under forks if elevated. If some one gets hurt
you will be open to some major legal problems if in the U.S.. You can rent
"manlifts" and "safety harness plus lanyard" for hoisting personal.

Check with a local forklift dealer or a rental outfit that supplies
construction equipment for more info. It's worth having the right tool for
the job in the first place.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

go w/ 90

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

If some one gets hurt you will be open to some major legal problems if in
the U.S..

Not if he is employing illegal aliens. They are not likely to sue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Workers should not be elevated on the forks of a forklift. A forklift
doesn't have a holding (lock) valve in the lift system and is not designed
for a person to be on or under forks if elevated. If some one gets hurt
you will be open to some major legal problems if in the U.S.. You can rent
"manlifts" and "safety harness plus lanyard" for hoisting personal.

Or you can review the regs. It's ok to lift people with a forklift if

a) They are on a lifting platform that is secured to the lift
and
b) That platform has a proper guardrail.

With the proper rail, a harness isn't required.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...S&p_id =21322

Running out to rent a scissor lift or some equivilent peice of
machinery every time a lightbulb needed changing would really put a
ding in a small shop's budget.

Posted to rec.woodworking
couillion

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .

If some one gets hurt you will be open to some major legal
problems if in the U.S..

Not if he is employing illegal aliens. They are not likely to sue.

not necessarily so....

http://www.libertymatters.org/newsse...2873_Ranch.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

stoutman wrote:
If some one gets hurt you will be open to some major legal problems if in
the U.S..

Not if he is employing illegal aliens. They are not likely to sue.

I too, know of some efforts to extend legal help "paperless" workers
with worker's comp issues.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking

couillion wrote:
"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .

If some one gets hurt you will be open to some major legal
problems if in the U.S..

Not if he is employing illegal aliens. They are not likely to sue.

not necessarily so....

http://www.libertymatters.org/newsse...2873_Ranch.htm

Given that two of the defendants didn't even defend themselves and
the third settled out of court that isn't much of a 'precedent'.

Back in the early days of the Icelandic Allthing there were basicly
two punishments. One was a fine. For example, if someone murdered
your brother they might be required to pay you 200 pieces of gold.
But if you wound up supporting his widow and children, or if the
murder was particularly foul, like backstabbing then that might
be increased. OTOH, if your brother was kind of a jerk the fine
might be reduced and if he had it comming to him, no compensation
would be required.

The second punishment was outlawry. If the wrongdoer could not
pay or refused to pay the fine then he was declared an outlaw which
meant you could kill him and not be fined.

Outlawry has long passed into the history books. Today, no matter
how evil a person is, it is still possible to commit a crime (or a
tort)
against him and be punished for it.

Not to conclude that the defendants in the suit above actually did
committ the tort in question but if someone does commit a tort
agains an illegal alien there is no reason why they should not be
allowed to sue, same as anybody else, and then be deported right
after they collect.

--

FF