Posted to rec.woodworking
rile

Default Porter Cable nailer problem

My son has a Porter Cable brad nailer. He called me this afternoon to
ask about a problem he's having. He says that air is leaking out of
the top of it. I've not seen it but he says it is leaking out of some
type of screen. I'm sorry I can't give any more details than that
since I've never seen it. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Murray Peterson

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in news:Tsx3g.280$Ci.99
@trnddc05:

Needs new O ring

It might need nothing more than a drop or two of oil -- try that first.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:02:32 -0500, Murray Peterson
wrote:

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in news:Tsx3g.280$Ci.99
@trnddc05:

Needs new O ring

It might need nothing more than a drop or two of oil -- try that first.

I put 1-2 drops of oil in my BN everyday of use. Bigger guns get 3-4
drops.
These things need oil but it is not a good idea to flood it and forget
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
rile

wrote:

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in news:Tsx3g.280$Ci.99
@trnddc05:

Needs new O ring

It might need nothing more than a drop or two of oil -- try that first.

I put 1-2 drops of oil in my BN everyday of use. Bigger guns get 3-4
drops.
These things need oil but it is not a good idea to flood it and forget
it.

Thanks for the help. Is there a oil fitting?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lay the gun down (prop it up) so that it is sitting on the front of the
gun with the end of the magazine and the air coupling pointing straight
up. If the gun is dry and that is the leak source, put 10 - 12 drops
of oil in the air coupling and let it sit propped up for an hour or so.
The oil has to work its way to the front of the gun, then it will get
drawn into the piston and onto the "O" rings.

You didn't say how old it was, or how much it has been used, or if it
received any routine maintenance. You may have blown a cylinder ring
or even have a leaky head gasket.

If it is just a dry ring, you are lucky. If it is the oil required
gun, then you should put a couple of drops in the gun at the start of
each session, and if you are using it a lot, put that much in again
after using it for a few hours. When trimming, I put oil in first
thing in the morning, and again after lunch.

Robert