DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Delta/Rockwell 46-111 lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/154988-delta-rockwell-46-111-lathe.html)

Matto April 25th 06 09:13 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-111 lathe

After many years way from turning, I am back and feel as if I need to
relearn everything.

What are the spindle thread pattern?
looks like 1"-8, Is that correct?

What is the taper on the tail stck?
M2?

I appreciate any help

[email protected] April 26th 06 07:17 AM

Delta/Rockwell 46-111 lathe

This is a lightweight but well made lathe. Yes, it is 1"X8 thread, and
an M2 spindle.

However, remember that this lathe is more for spindle work than for
bowls, and this is evident by the lighter weight ways and smaller
headstock.

They are neat lathes, though. The one I am thinking of ran like a
watch without a hint of wobble or machine noise. Pretty much all you
heard was the sound of the motor.

Another nice thing is that back when that lathe was made, it was made
from American gray iron. Good stuff, strong and ductile.

If you want to have more info than you can deal with about woodturning
and relating wood spinning, hop on over to the woodturning NG,
rec.crafts.woodturning.

Robert

Matto April 26th 06 03:54 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-111 lathe

Thanks for the info Robert. I bought this lathe a couple of years ago
for $180 with some tools, but missing a few parts and it's still in
great shape. I bolted mine to the floor for stability. I know its not
the best for bowl turning, but it is all I have at this point, so I
will work within (and around) the limitations of this machine. I have
turned 2 small bowls so far and already I getting hooked (again).
I'm new to Google groups and found that group after my post.
Thanks again.
Matt