Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain?

I've only got a portable compressor, something like 2.7 CFM @ 90 PSI.
It's not yet time to upgrade to a "shop" compressor, although that time
will eventually come. The bottom line is that my compressor doesn't
near have the ponies to power a conventional or HVLP gun.

Rockler (among others) sells a product called a Critter siphon spray
gun:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=2002

It's specs fall within the meager minimum specs of my hotdog. I know
it isn't the kind of quality a "real" spraygun has, but at $40, it
might be able to delay my purchasing a $500 compressor and a $100 gun.

At present, the only thing I would like to be able to do is spray
toner/glazing, primarily using dyes rather than pigments.

Does anyone have any experience using this gun to spray dye-based
stains? Can it spray a fine enough mist to provide even coverage?

Thanks for any advice.