Posted to rec.woodworking
Gav

Default Making a wooden bow case.

I am wanting to make a wooden case to put my compound bow in. Standard sort
of case design similar to this
http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0004469.jsp . Its a long time since I've
done any serious woodworking though and I'm after some tips. To make one of
these I'm going to end up with two box shapes that I'll join with a hinge
down one side. Obviously I want the two halves to match up ie don't want one
half to be slightly bigger/smaller than the other. So I was wondering how
you experienced guys would go about making one. Would you make up the two
seperate halves using some form of jig or would you make one box shape (I'm
thinking the ends and the sides here) and then cutting it all the way round
the centre to produce the two halves? Or possibly something else I've not
thought of.

thanks for you input

Gav

PS. Sorry if my explanation is not clear

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gav wrote:
I am wanting to make a wooden case to put my compound bow in. Standard sort
of case design similar to this
http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0004469.jsp . Its a long time since I've
done any serious woodworking though and I'm after some tips. To make one of
these I'm going to end up with two box shapes that I'll join with a hinge
down one side. Obviously I want the two halves to match up ie don't want one
half to be slightly bigger/smaller than the other. So I was wondering how
you experienced guys would go about making one. Would you make up the two
seperate halves using some form of jig or would you make one box shape (I'm
thinking the ends and the sides here) and then cutting it all the way round
the centre to produce the two halves? Or possibly something else I've not
thought of.

I'd go with #2. Mark and saw carefully. Clean the edge up with a
block plane, card scraper, or just a sanding block to remove the
saw marks.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Gav wrote:
[...]

David Marks made a tool chest on the Woodworks TV show by gluing up the
entire box--all six sides, then using a saw (it was his 20" band saw, I
think) to slice the top off. You could do it on a table saw too, one
side at a time. Use feather boards to make sure the box stays against
the rip fence.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Steve wrote:

David Marks made a tool chest on the Woodworks TV show by gluing up the
entire box--all six sides, then using a saw (it was his 20" band saw, I
think) to slice the top off. You could do it on a table saw too, one
side at a time. Use feather boards to make sure the box stays against
the rip fence.

And don't cut all the way through the sides. Leave a heavy sixteenth
and cut through the remaining with a razor knife or hand saw, then
clean up the edges with a plane.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Gav" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Make one box then cut it in half. Some use a bandsaw but I like a table
saw. I set the height of the blade about 1/32" less than the thickness of
the wood so that you almost cut the top off. Use a utility knife to cut the
top free then plane it smooth.