Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

Default anyone know a good metal working shop

After several attempts myself trying to rig something that might work
I've decided I need part of it made by someone more capable.

The basic component I need is a hard steel rod 1/2 to 3/4 in thickness
maybe 18 inches long. One end of the rod needs to be milled with a #2
Morse Taper. The other end needs to be drilled and taped to accept
threaded fittings probably 1/4-3/8ths but any common thread will do.

I can get parts from MSC but assembling the rod from parts will not be
as cheep or as strong as making the entire rod from one piece.

The #2MT needs to be accuratly centered so there is no wabble in the rod
when my lathe is turning.

Can anyone recommend someone local to Denver or not that can make this?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"william kossack" wrote in message
After several attempts myself trying to rig something that might work I've
decided I need part of it made by someone more capable.

The basic component I need is a hard steel rod 1/2 to 3/4 in thickness
maybe 18 inches long. One end of the rod needs to be milled with a #2
Morse Taper. The other end needs to be drilled and taped to accept
threaded fittings probably 1/4-3/8ths but any common thread will do.

I can get parts from MSC but assembling the rod from parts will not be as
cheep or as strong as making the entire rod from one piece.

The #2MT needs to be accuratly centered so there is no wabble in the rod
when my lathe is turning.

Can anyone recommend someone local to Denver or not that can make this?

Your are better off chucking the rod into a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. MT is not
hard to make but needs to be hardened after cutting the taper. 18" of 3/4"
steel rod secured only by the taper is asking for trouble.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

I'll take that into consideration if I can ever find a shop that can
make it.

MSC has the parts I need but a solid rod will be stronger. I've also
heard from someone that has made one that a chuck does not work very well

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

william kossack wrote:
I'll take that into consideration if I can ever find a shop that can
make it.

MSC has the parts I need but a solid rod will be stronger. I've also
heard from someone that has made one that a chuck does not work very well

a collet is better than a chuck, and a good chuck is better than a
cheap chuck. are you certain that the part you need isn't commercially
available? again, what is it you are making?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
MT is not
hard to make

True.

but needs to be hardened after cutting the taper.

Untrue.

18" of 3/4"
steel rod secured only by the taper is asking for trouble.

True.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Easy enough to find someone to make it. Look in your phone book for a
machine shop. Be prepared. I don't know what the prices are in Denver but I
doubt they are much different than here. I'm thinking $250.00, maybe more,
depending on details.

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

it used to be available but not any more

I can get the parts to make two from MSC for $100 (2 because the rods I
priced come in 3 foot sections). It would essentially be a #2MT endmill
holder and a steel rod. I can probably do the drill and tap of the end
myself but I need to get the equipment to do it.

Teamcasa wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"william kossack" wrote in message
. ..
it used to be available but not any more

I can get the parts to make two from MSC for $100 (2 because the rods I
priced come in 3 foot sections).

Yes, you can. That's a lot different than having one made.