Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerad

Default Final stage: Top Coating

Hello,
I am hoping for a bit of advice with finishing a wood project. I have
undertaken the daunting task of refinishing an indoor table. The table
was painted to begin with until I stripped, sanded and stained the
wood. I used a dark gel (jel'd) stain as my staining choice. It has now
set and remains to be finished with some sort of protective coat. As
this is my first project of this sort, I am a bit lost on how to
proceed. I know that there are numerous types of top coats to choose
from; I just don't know what type is right for my project.
I know that I would like to end up with a relatively matte finish, but
not as matte as it is now (without the coat). I would like to enhance
the depth of the stain. It looks pretty flat as of yet.
I am open to and would really appreciate some suggestions. I am all
ears.

-Thanks for your time.

-J

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I am hoping for a bit of advice with finishing a wood project.

My first piece of advice would be to get a good finishing book - there
are at least a few very good ones out there. I have one by Flexner,
and I've heard the one by Jewitt is good too. Check your local
library.
If you really don't want to buy a book, I'd say either a wipe-on
polyurethane or a polyurethane gel finish would be very easy to apply,
quite durable, and available in satin gloss. I've also had good luck
so far with Behlen Rockhard Tabletop varnish, which is a very thick
varnish that's supposed to be very durable and heat-resistant. It
dries to a high gloss, so you'd need to rub it down with automotive
rubbing compound or ultra-fine steel wool for a less glossy finish.
With any of these, be sure to do at LEAST 2-3 coats, and after each
coat dries, sand lightly with 320grit before the next coat.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
SonomaProducts.com

When you say table, I assume this is like a dinning or kitchen table?
if so, you want a fairly durable finish. Working as a hobbiest the
easiest way to get a great durable finish is to use a wiping poly. Just
get any oil based polyurathane (sp?) and mix it 50% (or more) with
mineral spirits. Wipe it on with a lint free padded rag (old tee
shirts). Super thin, super even coats. Depending on the absorbancy of
the wood you won't even see it build up until the 2nd or third coat. 24
hrs between coats. very lightly sand with 320 or 400 between coats.
Watch out for sanding through edges or grain ridges. You could skip
sanding the first coat or two.

Once you have enough build, rub it down with 0000 steel wool. This will
breal the sheen some. Then wax it it good furniture wax, this will
bring the sheen back some. Watch out for build up in goorves in
molding, beads, etc. This will shine even if you use a flat poly. I'd
suggest sation or semigloss. A purist would use gloss and knock down
the sheen with steel wool for the clearest finish without (white)
flatteners cloudingt the finish.

Finally (firstly actually) try the entore finish process on the same
type of wood, coloerd the same before starting on your project. The one
downside to poly is, it ain't comin off once you put it on.

BW

final BCO inspection - stage of finishedness ? [email protected] UK diy 5 March 29th 06 02:18 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
Single stage vs. dual stage furnace Harry Muscle Home Repair 16 January 13th 06 07:01 PM
Single stage vs. dual stage furnace Harry Muscle Home Ownership 12 January 13th 06 06:56 PM
Furnace Thermostat: Meaning Of "2 Stage" ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 May 9th 05 05:08 PM