Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil

Default Golden Rectangle or Ratio explained

Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Enjoy,

Phil Davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

I knew that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve DeMars

Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking and
what is it?

Thanks in advance . . .
Steve

"Phil" dirigo @ spamcop . net (delete the spaces) wrote in message
Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Enjoy,

Phil Davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Steve DeMars wrote:

"Phil" dirigo @ spamcop . net (delete the spaces) wrote in message

Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking
and what is it?

Try here, for starters:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Ratio/GM1.html

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
SFChuck

The "golden ratio" is a useful proportion in furniture making. One
often sees chests of drawers, etc., that are 1.6 time higher than they
are wide or horizontally-oriented pieces that are 1.6 times wider than
they are high, etc.

It is also useful for drawer sizing. In chests with drawers that get
larger as they near the bottom, each drawer front is 1.6 times higher
than the one above.

Steve DeMars wrote:
Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking and
what is it?

Thanks in advance . . .
Steve

"Phil" dirigo @ spamcop . net (delete the spaces) wrote in message
Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Enjoy,

Phil Davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Golden ratio is pleasing to the eye. Theoretically a chest with
dimensions of 1.6 :1
will be more attractive to more people than one with a ratio of 1.4 :

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

GREAT, thanks best response yet!

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:146dnYc52pbB6qfZnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@forethought. net...
Steve DeMars wrote:

"Phil" dirigo @ spamcop . net (delete the spaces) wrote in message

Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking
and what is it?

Try here, for starters:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Ratio/GM1.html

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Golden Rectangle
"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking and
what is it?

Thanks in advance . . .
Steve

Design without good use of proportions is either art or junk.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:56:00 -0500, "Steve DeMars"
wrote:

Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking and
what is it?
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

A rectangle can be long and thin, or short and fat, or anything in
between. The one with sides in a certain ratio, called the Golden
Ratio, is thought by most to be the most pleasing [aesthetic.]
However, I'd hate to have EVERY rectangle in the house that shpae.
Variety is the spice of life.

Google for methods of finding it, but basically it's the solution to
an equation found form each of those methods:

x^2 - x - 1 = 0

You'll find out the numerical value sqrt(5)+1 : 2, or, same thing,
2 : sqrt(5) - 1

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil:

I read a good book on the subject about a year or so ago:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....cid=80486&fp=F

The author is a astrophysicist and explains the GR from
a mathmatical viewpoint as well from an artistic one. He
explains the roots of the GR as well examines whether
or not it shows up in nature on in art as often as people
think.

The truth of it all is that while it is interesting that the GR
does appear (sometime) in nature, it's use in art is not conclusive.
The pyramids and classical Greek scupture and buildings
for example, do not use the GR at all.

While it appears that we can use the GR as a general
guide in designing furniture, it is not an end all. Studies,
as expained in the book, indicate that people objectively
don't really gravitate towards objects built using the GR
as a design element when presented choices.

So my final thoughts - don't get hung up on GR.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

I've been told (although I don't know for sure if this is true) that the
human eye's visual range (width to height) approximates the Golden
Ratio. However, this wouldn't explain why we find upright Golden Ratios
to be so visually appealing.

It does, however, match pretty much to the dimensions chosen for
standard TV sets (NTSC). THe same goes for landscape style painting and
pictures ... the GR just looks better.

Jack

Enoch Root wrote:
Steve DeMars wrote:

"Phil" dirigo @ spamcop . net (delete the spaces) wrote in message
. ..

Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking
and what is it?

Try here, for starters:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Ratio/GM1.html

er

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Enoch Root wrote:

Steve DeMars wrote:

"Phil" dirigo @ spamcop . net (delete the spaces) wrote in message

Thought I'd post this for the inquiring minds here. No
affiliation, I have just seen this come up a few times.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/other/phi/

Excuse my ignorance . . . but how would one apply this to woodworking
and what is it?

Try here, for starters:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Ratio/GM1.html

er

4:3 isn't that close to the GR. Widescreen TV sure as hell isn't!

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Evans

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:09:22 -0700, David wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

It does, however, match pretty much to the dimensions chosen for
standard TV sets (NTSC). THe same goes for landscape style painting and
pictures ... the GR just looks better.

4:3 isn't that close to the GR. Widescreen TV sure as hell isn't!

and NTSC isn't close to proper "colour" either.

NTSC aka Never Twice the Same Colour

Oh and that's colour spelt the proper way :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Martin Evans wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:09:22 -0700, David wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

It does, however, match pretty much to the dimensions chosen for
standard TV sets (NTSC). THe same goes for landscape style painting and
pictures ... the GR just looks better.

4:3 isn't that close to the GR. Widescreen TV sure as hell isn't!

and NTSC isn't close to proper "colour" either.

NTSC aka Never Twice the Same Colour

Oh and that's colour spelt the proper way :-)

I spent my formative years in merry old England. I still catch
myself spelling things the British way.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brad

I have heard that the golden ratio applies to much more than furniture.
Many say it is the key to making good turned bowls or vases as well.
Brad