DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gorilla glue (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/151927-gorilla-glue.html)

Gene April 3rd 06 06:29 PM

Gorilla glue

I've got a bottle of Gorrila glue that is getting old and very thick.
Anybody know of a way to make it run again? Maybe a microwave oven or
something?

[email protected] April 3rd 06 07:25 PM

Gorilla glue

Gene wrote:
I've got a bottle of Gorrila glue that is getting old and very thick.
Anybody know of a way to make it run again? Maybe a microwave oven or
something?

From what I know about Gorilla glue, it would seem that the glue is

reacting with the humidity in the air, and is slowly gluing to itself.
It will continue to get thicker and thicker until it sets up
completely.

That's why I buy the small bottle.

-Phil Crow

Leon April 3rd 06 07:50 PM

Gorilla glue

"Gene" wrote in message
I've got a bottle of Gorrila glue that is getting old and very thick.
Anybody know of a way to make it run again? Maybe a microwave oven or
something?

Time to buy a new bottle in a size that you will use up in 6 months.

Tom H April 3rd 06 08:07 PM

Gorilla glue

I have been able to extend the shelf life from it's stated 1 year to several
years be sealing the entire bottle in a larger container after each use.

AAvK April 3rd 06 11:29 PM

Gorilla glue

I have been able to extend the shelf life from it's stated 1 year to several
years be sealing the entire bottle in a larger container after each use.

I use these from Lee Valley, they are like little "micro-condoms", take a gander:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...110,42967&ap=1

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Andy April 4th 06 12:31 AM

Gorilla glue

I have been able to extend the shelf life from it's stated 1 year to several years be sealing the entire bottle in a larger container after each use.

I like that idea. It may work even better if you put some dessicant
inside the larger container. (Lee Valley has some in bulk they call
"flower drying crystals" - or any kind of silica gel, Dri-Rite, etc.)
I might just have to try that.
The Gorilla Glue in general may last longer (i.e. react slower) if kept
cool, but if you kept it in the fridge, you'd want to watch out for
condensation when you take it out. I'm not sure whether very cold
temps/freezing would be harmful - I'm sure you could call them if it's
not on the bottle.
Andy

tom April 4th 06 04:04 AM

Gorilla glue

Yep, smaller bottle, then just squeeze out the extra air in the
container. You might check the air level now and then, to make sure of
your seal. Tom

Joe April 4th 06 11:28 AM

Gorilla glue

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:29:22 -0500, (Gene) wrote:

I've got a bottle of Gorrila glue that is getting old and very thick.
Anybody know of a way to make it run again? Maybe a microwave oven or
something?

Throw it away and buy a new one.
These adhesives are based on urethane and are moisture (in the air)
catalyzed. Thus, the stuff you have is partially cross-linked
so-to-speak and that cannot be reversed -at least not in the shop.
If you were to run a test using this bottle and a new bottle you would
find that the old one has diminished bonding properties.