Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default The Wreck (borrowed from rec.craft.woodturning) but applicable here

Lifted from RCW but worth posting here because it pretty well
describes this group as well - charlie b

This ng has survived some of its members going AWOL or deserting. On
occasion a few graduate and rise to a truly deserved turner's fame while
one or two may have fallen into rank notoriety or ersatz sophistication.
Sophomoric or crude spam, obnoxious trolls, subliminal self promotion,
aggressive advertising, kneekick negativity and unwitting insults don't
faze us. Chicken Littles, Pollyannas, self proclaimed authorities and
COCs are without honor. Boring subjects, excessive verbiage, paucity of
pics, witty one liner derailments, vulgar remarks and hurtful false
assumptions are not suffered gladly. Mind numbing repetition, non
sharing emails, misplaced OTs and downright wrong advice happen and are
ignored.

Why does this forum prosper with all its warts & blems? I'll offer some
suggestions with hopes you'll add yours.

We only neglect the _rare in woodturning, so we _rarely neglect the
common in woodturning. We can think outside the box, but we know the way
back in. We are aware of our lack of sophistication, but we aren't much
impressed by that of others. We can acknowledge other's fame and mastery
of the art or craft with cheerful respect without genuflecting. We enjoy
looking at well made pieces and fine art, but we also recognize a honest
& helpful teaching website when we see one. We laugh and learn from our
mistakes, and happily acknowledge our screw-ups. A newbie becomes an
intermediate in our eyes after his first post. We relegate PC, personal
pronouns, nationalism and religion to appropriate places.

We forgive, forget and hold harmless those who stray and they are
welcomed back with never a sneer. We count yesterday's obnoxiously wrong
guy as today's friend and co-conspirator. We enjoy and appreciate all
flavors and every facet of woodturning and we are friends to all
woodturners of good will. We respect other turning forums and feel
comfortable in joining in. but we are not a sept of any associaton or
larger group.

RCW has a place for every personality. It includes those who love the
craft and enjoy gabbing about it, but have a life apart from it. Not for
everyone, but some favor the privacy and arm's length of the net with no
need for further socializing. We understand that there are many reasons
why 'mi casa' cannot be 'su casa'.

We even forgive a COC's interminablel musing. Well, sometimes.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:02:53 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Lifted from RCW but worth posting here because it pretty well
describes this group as well - charlie b

This ng has survived some of its members going AWOL or deserting. On
occasion a few graduate and rise to a truly deserved turner's fame while
one or two may have fallen into rank notoriety or ersatz sophistication.
Sophomoric or crude spam, obnoxious trolls, subliminal self promotion,
aggressive advertising, kneekick negativity and unwitting insults don't
faze us. Chicken Littles, Pollyannas, self proclaimed authorities and
COCs are without honor. Boring subjects, excessive verbiage, paucity of

COC's?

Looked on www.acronymfinder.com and came up with nothing. Some of the
more amusing candidates:

Continuity of Combustibility
Cleaned Optics & Coronas
Cast Out Cookies
Climb on Course
Children of the Cathedral
Cult of Cod
Colloidal Organic Carbon
Council Of Colonels
Canadian Orchid Congress
Command Operations Center
Commandant of Cadets
Carnival of Carnage
Circle of Chaos
Cyclic Olefin Copolymer
Contaminant of Concern
Certificate Of Competency
Call Of Cthulhu
Corrosion Of Conformity
Combined Oral Contraceptive

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:01:18 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
news

.... snip
COC's?

Crusty old Coot

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:08:32 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:01:18 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
news

... snip
COC's?

Crusty old Coot

Thanks.

I assume that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe
that COC means "Crochety Old Coot".

Although the term is meant to be an honorific, from personal experience I
believe it refers to an irritating old fart who should, from time to time,
be listened to nonetheless.

I don't much like the title but I can see that, as I age, that shoe is
becoming a progressively better fit.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
news

... snip

COC's?

Crusty old Coot

Thanks.

I assume that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe
that COC means "Crochety Old Coot".

Although the term is meant to be an honorific, from personal experience I
believe it refers to an irritating old fart who should, from time to time,
be listened to nonetheless.

I don't much like the title but I can see that, as I age, that shoe is
becoming a progressively better fit.

Bill

Oh yeah. Up here in the high boondocks, we have the OFC (old farts
club). We get together a few mornings a week, drink coffee and tell lies.
creak,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

W Canaday said:

I assume that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe
that COC means "Crochety Old Coot".

Although the term is meant to be an honorific, from personal experience I
believe it refers to an irritating old fart who should, from time to time,
be listened to nonetheless.

I don't much like the title but I can see that, as I age, that shoe is
becoming a progressively better fit.

Bill

Very adept definition, AFAIAC - and Ditto. LOL

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
news

... snip

COC's?

Crusty old Coot

Thanks.

I assume that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe
that COC means "Crochety Old Coot".

Although the term is meant to be an honorific, from personal experience I
believe it refers to an irritating old fart who should, from time to
time,
be listened to nonetheless.

I don't much like the title but I can see that, as I age, that shoe is
becoming a progressively better fit.

Bill

Oh yeah. Up here in the high boondocks, we have the OFC (old farts
club). We get together a few mornings a week, drink coffee and tell lies.
creak,

Hey, we call that the deadpecker bench.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:05:26 -0800, Enoch Root wrote:

Hey, we call that the deadpecker bench.

er

HEYYYYYYYYYY
You owe me a coffee .... and a keyboard!

Why Is There Wreck? Tom Watson Woodworking 38 February 21st 06 03:51 AM
Temp fix to 'borrowed neutral' [email protected] UK diy 5 March 14th 05 04:01 PM
The Wreck - And Politics - And A New Pledge Tom Watson Woodworking 28 October 16th 04 03:24 AM
The Soft Wreck ? toller Woodworking 82 September 14th 04 10:50 PM
Psychopathology and The Wreck Tom Watson Woodworking 59 June 7th 04 04:26 PM