Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark

Default Haze on Semi-gloss Poly

Hi Guys,
I'm working on a coffee table for a client, and I would normally go to
a high gloss finish. I'm trying a semi-gloss (per customers
requirements) and I'm getting a haze on the final coat. It's only been
24 hours, I'm thinking I wait a few days and buff it with 600 wet/dry
and soapy water. Is this because of the driers in the finish? Any other
suggestions? The client doesn't want a high gloss.
Mark

http://www.furniturebymark.com/WhatsInWork.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I apply poly to an outdoor pine pic table every o/ yr for fifteen. Alwasy
been fine until last yr. I will not use hi-gloss on an outdoor in sun
table top anymore. killer glare.

anyways last time, i got a haze. tried sanding, fine snading, tried
polishing compound. It was the conditions. Humidity. It was very very
humid. The finish looks litterally like milk paint white. Didn't go away.
Did when you wet it down. Didn't want to waste $ so I left it. Its
permanent. Prob have to sand down nearly, if not ALL the way. ALL. It has
a yr on it, and it is fading, as the finish is also, fading. Gonna need to
do it again soon. Going right down to bare wood, or close.

Do not apply this stuff when humid. Its ruined, In my case; you may have o/
going on.

I asked in alt.construction, or some o/ group like that, and they all
reccomend proruct called froggy, or something. They didn't like regular
poly at all. Only happened to me once. It was like 90RH.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

bent wrote:
[...]

Only one guy on a.b.c. recommends that product. Phil Scott swears by
the stuff - Sun Frog. http://www.sunfrog.com/products/woodsealer.html
It's not a film finish like poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Mark" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Guys,
I'm working on a coffee table for a client, and I would normally go to
a high gloss finish. I'm trying a semi-gloss (per customers
requirements) and I'm getting a haze on the final coat. It's only been
24 hours, I'm thinking I wait a few days and buff it with 600 wet/dry
and soapy water. Is this because of the driers in the finish? Any other
suggestions? The client doesn't want a high gloss.
Mark

http://www.furniturebymark.com/WhatsInWork.html

Semigloss has an additive that makes it semigloss. It also clouds the film.
Assuming you have put on more than one coat either use gloss for all but the
final coat, or use gloss for all and dull with steel wool.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Toller wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I'm working on a coffee table for a client, and I would normally go to
a high gloss finish. I'm trying a semi-gloss (per customers
requirements) and I'm getting a haze on the final coat. It's only been
24 hours, I'm thinking I wait a few days and buff it with 600 wet/dry
and soapy water. Is this because of the driers in the finish? Any other
suggestions? The client doesn't want a high gloss.
Mark

http://www.furniturebymark.com/WhatsInWork.html

Semigloss has an additive that makes it semigloss. It also clouds the film.
Assuming you have put on more than one coat either use gloss for all but the
final coat, or use gloss for all and dull with steel wool.

A lot of floor finishers do it that way - gloss on all coats except the
last one.