Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OEF: 'He died a hero' Staff Sgt. Ray was one of four soldiers killed in Afghanistan when one of those improvised explosives went off near his vehicle.

'He died a hero'
County remembers fallen soldier
by Julie Ball, Staff Writer
published March 14, 2006 6:00 am
Reader Feedback: Read 3 comments | Comment on this article | Register here
ASHEVILLE - On Sept. 11, 2001, Joe Ray told co-worker Janet Herren, "If we
go to war, I'm going over there to fight because it is not right what they've
done to us."
Ray did go fight, serving in both Iraq and Afghanistan. His work was some of
the most dangerous - clearing deadly explosive devices from roadways so
vehicles could safely pass.
On Sunday, Ray was one of four soldiers killed in Afghanistan when one of
those improvised explosives went off near his vehicle.
"When anybody mentioned his name, they think of him and they think of that
huge, big smile of his," Herren said. "My heart is broken."
Flags at all Buncombe County buildings were lowered Monday to remember Ray,
who had worked for the county since 1998.
"Everyone who knows Joe will tell you he always had a smile on his face, a
kind word for everyone and never met a stranger," County Manager Wanda
Greene said in an e-mail to county directors Monday morning.
Staff Sgt. Ray was assigned to the Alpha Company of the 391st Engineering
Battalion based in Asheville. Last February, mobilization ceremonies for the
more than 100 soldiers took place in Asheville, and they prepared to head
overseas.
Ray's parents knew he had a dangerous job.
In 2003 while her son was in Iraq, Helen Lewis told the Citizen-Times, "I
feel like my toddler is playing on a freeway. But he said he's well trained
and serving with wonderful people. And he has a job to do, and he's going to
do it, and he'll see me soon. That sustains me."
His parents could not be reached Monday.
Sgt. Shannon Fischer, 29, served with Ray in Iraq. She now works at the
Reserve Center in Greenville, S.C.
"Even in the roughest situation, he was always smiling," Fischer said. "If
you were down, he would lift your spirits."
Fischer said Ray did his job and never complained.
"He died a hero," she said.
Staff Sgt. Marvin S. Clark knew Ray well.
"He was like my own boy. I used to hug him on the neck and we'd joke
around. . He loved his country and when he was called to serve his country,
he went without hesitation, without complaint. . It's just hard to swallow.
"He was a great soldier. If we could have a whole Army of soldiers just like
him, I mean - it's just bad."
Clark said Ray loved to joke.
"I could come in here all stressed out, and he'd have me smiling in no time.
He was just a great guy."
Ray expected to return from Afghanistan next month, Herren said.
A 1995 graduate of Reynolds High School, Ray worked in maintenance at the
Buncombe County Detention Center.
His father, Randy, retired from the Sheriff's Department after 30 years
working at the jail. Because of his father's job, Herren says Joe Ray grew
up around the courthouse.
"Everybody that knows Joe is in tears right now. it's hard to accept," said
Maj. Bill Stafford with the sheriff's department. "It's just one of those,
you couldn't ask for a better employee."
Herren said she last spoke to Ray Feb. 27, the day he turned 29.
"He told me then that he was in a very dangerous position, but he said we've
done a lot of good. He said we've saved a lot of people," Herren said.
Ray's daughter turned 2 on Friday. He also has a young stepson, Herren said.
Ray got a tattoo of his young daughter's hand before he left for another
tour.
"He said, 'I want to take her with me,'" Herren said.
Staff Writer Leslie Boyd contributed to this report.