DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   surprising sharp edge discovery (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/148494-surprising-sharp-edge-discovery.html)

Australopithecus scobis March 11th 06 12:01 AM

surprising sharp edge discovery

Greetings,
I wielded the crowbar and bought a set of Triumph twist drills. Today I
was fussing with the fence on the DP and gashed my finger on the _side_ of
the drill. I'd never known twist drills could be sharp there! (Yes, it
was unplugged and the yellow thingie was out of the switch.)

Shoulda worn gloves... ;^)

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

bent March 11th 06 09:33 AM

surprising sharp edge discovery

All but the smaller sizes of twist drills are ground with "back taper": the
tip has a greater diameter than the shank to prevent binding in the hole.
The edge(s) are sharp throughout the entire length of the flutes, however it
is the 'other [perpendicular] end' that actually does the cutting: the lip,
extending from the chisel edge to the periphery.