Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default sanding belts, you're choice?

Well I got out a new box of 3 x 21 120 grit sanding belts to do some
sanding on a butcher block table top, and in a matter of five minutes
I went through five of them. The glue seams would not hold. The
sander was tracking perfectly.

Admittedly, these belts while a new box had been stored for a while,
maybe 5-6 years in my shop that is not climate controlled. I have a 4
x 24 that I use most of the time so the smaller sander gets less use.
However, I thought the shelf life would be a little better.

So what is you're favorite belt, particularly in terms of sanding
longevity and shelf life?

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Well I got out a new box of 3 x 21 120 grit sanding belts to do
some
sanding on a butcher block table top, and in a matter of five
minutes
I went through five of them. The glue seams would not hold.
The
sander was tracking perfectly.

Admittedly, these belts while a new box had been stored for a
while,
maybe 5-6 years in my shop that is not climate controlled. I
have a 4
x 24 that I use most of the time so the smaller sander gets
less use.
However, I thought the shelf life would be a little better.

So what is you're favorite belt, particularly in terms of
sanding
longevity and shelf life?

Frank

Pretty much the same equipment here, but I've never had more than
an occasional problem with the seams separating. Well, excepting
a guide that wore out and started pulling the papers apart! That
one hit the junk pile g.

I imagine it's pretty much a matter of getting what you pay for?
Dunno - it'll be interesting to see what responses appear. The
only actualy old belts I have are a bunch of metal oxides given
to me about ten years ago, and last I used them, they were fine,
which was about two weeks ago. Unfortunately they're only 80
grit though. Maybe grit makes a difference? I'm sure the sander
design has something to do with it, too, epsecially if you
tension it too tight; my 4 x 24 is adjustable and variable speed,
the other one's just a spring tension and constant 2-speed (zero
or max!). And of course, a lot older.

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Frank Boettcher wrote:

So what is you're favorite belt, particularly in terms of sanding
longevity and shelf life?

My favourite 'belt' is Black Bushmills.... ooops...sandpaper...

okay..
120 grit Klingspor 3 x 24.
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:13:43 -0600, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

Well I got out a new box of 3 x 21 120 grit sanding belts to do some
sanding on a butcher block table top, and in a matter of five minutes
I went through five of them. The glue seams would not hold. The
sander was tracking perfectly.

Admittedly, these belts while a new box had been stored for a while,
maybe 5-6 years in my shop that is not climate controlled. I have a 4
x 24 that I use most of the time so the smaller sander gets less use.
However, I thought the shelf life would be a little better.

So what is you're favorite belt, particularly in terms of sanding
longevity and shelf life?

Frank

I really like the Klingspor belts, also...

I use them on both the 6 x 36" sander and the 1 x 42" grinder and am very happy
with them..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

If you look in the fine print, most manufacturers won't warranty the belt
seam for more than 1 year although they usually last longer. But yours is
not the first story I've heard like that with 5 year old belts. I use
Klingspor and have an alumina zirconia 24 grit I use for carving that's
going on 4 yrs old and still hanging in there. But the day it flys apart I
won't be surprised. Belts and PSA sandpaper have shelf lives and are not a
good thing to stock up on. If you ever run across the guy at the flea
market selling belts really cheap, don't make eye contact and just walk on
by.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 04:44:18 GMT, "Max Mahanke"
wrote:

If you look in the fine print, most manufacturers won't warranty the belt
seam for more than 1 year although they usually last longer. But yours is
not the first story I've heard like that with 5 year old belts. I use
Klingspor and have an alumina zirconia 24 grit I use for carving that's
going on 4 yrs old and still hanging in there. But the day it flys apart I
won't be surprised. Belts and PSA sandpaper have shelf lives and are not a
good thing to stock up on. If you ever run across the guy at the flea
market selling belts really cheap, don't make eye contact and just walk on
by.

Well thanks all. I've learned a few things. Looks like Klingspor (I
should have guessed that) and keep inventory to a minimum.

Frank

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Floor sanding and rosehead nails Marc Home Repair 5 November 30th 05 08:18 PM
Sanding and finishing Walnut. Keith Woodworking 10 November 18th 05 10:52 AM
Cordless drill choice Junkyard Engineer Woodworking 31 September 8th 05 05:11 AM
Sanding speed? George Woodturning 2 September 17th 04 05:24 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 01:30 AM