DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Craftsman Table Saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/147142-craftsman-table-saw.html)

BeanCounter March 2nd 06 04:51 AM

Craftsman Table Saw

Brother gave me a Craftsman 10" tablesaw he acquired by gift for
helping his friends parents move. They say it is about 15 years old
and it is driven by a flexible shaft of some sort. Never seen one
before. The saw looks little used and in pristine condition. Will
this type of drive hold up under a heavy work load and if not would it
be feasible to convert it to a pully driven system?

Phisherman March 2nd 06 01:47 PM

Craftsman Table Saw

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:51:28 -0500, BeanCounter
wrote:

Brother gave me a Craftsman 10" tablesaw he acquired by gift for
helping his friends parents move. They say it is about 15 years old
and it is driven by a flexible shaft of some sort. Never seen one
before. The saw looks little used and in pristine condition. Will
this type of drive hold up under a heavy work load and if not would it
be feasible to convert it to a pully driven system?

Try a few cuts and see what it can do. Consider a table saw tuneup. A
good table saw will have a good fence. A pulley drive is better, but
a quality fence is a lot more important.

jo4hn March 2nd 06 03:21 PM

Craftsman Table Saw

BeanCounter wrote:
Brother gave me a Craftsman 10" tablesaw he acquired by gift for
helping his friends parents move. They say it is about 15 years old
and it is driven by a flexible shaft of some sort. Never seen one
before. The saw looks little used and in pristine condition. Will
this type of drive hold up under a heavy work load and if not would it
be feasible to convert it to a pully driven system?

By all means try it out. If you don't think it will do your job, figure
whether the cost of conversion will be cheaper than selling this one and
buying another. Also consider whether the converted saw will do the job
for you.
mahalo,
jo4hn