DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/146430-buyding-electric-jigsaw-whats-pendulum-one.html)

[email protected] February 26th 06 04:30 AM

Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one?

I'm about to buy a basic jigsaw and I see some are said to be pendulum
and others are not. What's the difference? Does it matter?

Many thanks and regards.

Peter Huebner February 26th 06 05:38 AM

Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one?

In article .com,
says...

I'm about to buy a basic jigsaw and I see some are said to be pendulum
and others are not. What's the difference? Does it matter?

Cuts much faster on the straights, but doesn't do much good on tight curves.

Variable speed helps getting cuts started and in tricky spots it's useful as
well.

-P.

Edwin Pawlowski February 26th 06 02:23 PM

Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one?

wrote in message
Also, is a variable speed useful? what for, doesn't it just cut? Why
would I need more than one speed for cutting? Thanks.

Sure it just cuts, but you may want different speeds for different blade and
material combinations. Jig saws cut more than just wood, they can cut
plastic, sheet metal, steel, aluminum, plate, tubing, etc.

Mike Berger March 1st 06 01:25 AM

Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one?

Your blades will last a lot longer and cuts will be cleaner
(without burning the wood, etc.) if you use an appropriate
speed for the blade and material.