Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill

Default Disc Sander burning my wood! ??

Hi,

I have a 12" Delta disc sander with a 1/2 HP motor. Most every time I use it
, it burns the wood.

Anybody know why? The sandpaper is rather aggressive - I would say about
maybe 50, could be 80. I bought it with the paper on it and never bothered
to change it.

I use one of those gummy things to clean the paper.

Thanks in advance.

--

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

"Bill" wrote in

Hi,

I have a 12" Delta disc sander with a 1/2 HP motor. Most every time I
use it , it burns the wood.

Anybody know why? The sandpaper is rather aggressive - I would say
about maybe 50, could be 80. I bought it with the paper on it and
never bothered to change it.

I use one of those gummy things to clean the paper.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you're trying to force the tool to work? Gently bring the wood
up to the sander and let the sander work at its own pace. 50 grit paper
(especially on a machine) will take off a lot of wood fairly quickly.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article 7RuLf.40547$Dh.6996@dukeread04, "Bill" wrote:
I have a 12" Delta disc sander with a 1/2 HP motor. Most every time I use it
, it burns the wood.

Anybody know why? The sandpaper is rather aggressive - I would say about
maybe 50, could be 80. I bought it with the paper on it and never bothered
to change it.

The grit is probably dull. Try a new belt.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Bill wrote:
Hi,

I have a 12" Delta disc sander with a 1/2 HP motor. Most every time I
use it , it burns the wood.

Anybody know why?

Yes. The wood is getting hot. It is getting hot because of friction.
The friction is caused by you pushing too hard against a disc that is
(probably) spinning too fast. (I say "probably" because many disc
sanders spin at around 3500 rpm; ones that spin at half that do better.)

The cure is to use a much lighter touch.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

And on a 12" sander, the center of the disk is spinning significantly
slower than the edge -- so don't hold the piece so close to the edge
of the disk.

dadiOH wrote:

Yes. The wood is getting hot. It is getting hot because of friction.
The friction is caused by you pushing too hard against a disc that is
(probably) spinning too fast. (I say "probably" because many disc
sanders spin at around 3500 rpm; ones that spin at half that do better.)

The cure is to use a much lighter touch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Bill, Pirate6093 wrote:
You may be applying to much presser. That will give it a burnt finish.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ood-82990-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2019 11:14 AM, Pirate6093 wrote:
replying to Bill, Pirate6093 wrote:
You may be applying to much presser. That will give it a burnt finish.

(For context from the original post this is 12" disc, not hand sander--dpb)

They run too fast for anything but the lightest of pressure and briefest
of contact in one place...MUST keep the workpiece moving.

Some woods (cherry perhaps most notoriously) are far more prone to
burning than others, too, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2019 9:31 AM, dpb wrote: On 9/19/2019 11:14 AM, Pirate6093 wrote:
replying to Bill, Pirate6093 wrote:
You may be applying to much presser. That will give it a burnt finish.

(For context from the original post this is 12" disc, not hand

sander--dpb)

They run too fast for anything but the lightest of pressure and briefest
of contact in one place...MUST keep the workpiece moving.

Some woods (cherry perhaps most notoriously) are far more prone to
burning than others, too, of course.

--

If its an HF type bench sander with a cheap universal brush motor you
might be able to slow it down (with a significant loss in power) with an

Of course you can always change it out to a DC treadmill motor with
square pulse speed control or a 3 phase motor with a VFD for speed
control. Both are popular on shop built belt grinders. No reason they
won't work on a disc sander.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 3:50:42 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

If it's a HF type bench sander I doubt it's still around 13 years later. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2019 2:33 PM, 03 wrote: On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at

wrote:
[...]

I have an 8.5x18 HF metal lathe I use in my shop a few days a week every
week that's over 30 years old. I do also have a bigger more powerful
lathe, but that old HF lathe still does its job. It doesn't have a
brush motor though like a lot HF tools. Its got a proper reversible
induction motor. (Their modern mini lathe has a brush motor.)

I bought an old HF wood lathe when I was a teenager. I gave it to a
friend of mine when I was in my 20s. (He did plenty for me.) His
grandson still uses that lathe today. I'm in my 50s.

Now as to my HF belt grinders... (with sanding wheel on the side) The
little 1x30 gets used all the time. In fact I often prefer it to either
of my regular bench grinders depending on the project. It might not
last 13 years, although I think its approaching 10. The 4" belt grinder
with side wheel will probably last 100 years unless I modify it. I
don't use it much. Its so gutless if a fly lands on the belt I have to
take the work piece away or the sudden jolt as it stops when the fly
slams into the table would ruin the work piece.

Anyway, lots of HF tools have lasted more than 13 years. Some under
daily use.