Posted to rec.woodworking
foster239

Default Parts for Old Woodworking Vise

I have an old Columbian Vise (model: 9-R-2) with a bronze release gear
that seems to slip in some locations. Does anyone have a fix for this
problem or a place where you can buy parts for an old vise?

By the way, Columbian is now owned by Wilson Tool and division of WMH
Tool Group (Jet, Powermatic, etc.) and they say they don't have parts.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

I have an old Columbian Vise (model: 9-R-2) with a bronze release gear
that seems to slip in some locations. Does anyone have a fix for this
problem or a place where you can buy parts for an old vise?

By the way, Columbian is now owned by Wilson Tool and division of WMH
Tool Group (Jet, Powermatic, etc.) and they say they don't have parts.

Thanks

You mean the half nut?

I donno but these folks make the Morgan woodworking vises which should be
very close in design, you could ask them to send you pics of their half nuts just
to see if it is at least close enough: http://www.milwmal.com/home.htm Relate
the size of the vise to them of course.

I asked a machinist about making a copy of mine so I wouldn't wear out the old
one, which is an extremely soft brassy kind of metal... $70 ??? Good grief.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
foster239

Alex,

I contacted Morgan Vises and they sent me a bronze part used in one of
their vises that worked in my vise. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Steve Foster

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Alex,

I contacted Morgan Vises and they sent me a bronze part used in one of
their vises that worked in my vise. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Steve Foster

Glad to help.

I just went through a storm of the same thinking, but in order to preserve the original
part and not wear it out. I sent them (manager at Morgan) a series of pictures of the
half nut along side of tape measure and complete explanation of the thread sizes. He
replied and said they are the same size, but no doubt made of the same soft brass
material. He told me $25, what did you pay?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi, I have acquired a 10" 9-R columbian wood vice. It slides back and forth freely. Fliped it over, removed 2 lg screws, removed cap and nothing there to move jaws when handle turned. Where might I find this part that goes on the center threaded rod ??? please help

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ise-82002-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 23:01:02 +0000, Bob Massie
wrote:

Hi, I have acquired a 10" 9-R columbian wood vice. It slides back and forth freely. Fliped it over, removed 2 lg screws, removed cap and nothing there to move jaws when handle turned. Where might I find this part that goes on the center threaded rod ??? please help

Here's a thread from someone else with the same vise and missing part.
https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/52709
Here's a discussion that was cited in that thread:
http://zengrain.com/desmond-stephan-and-morgan-vise-half-nuts/

I don't know how helpful they are but Milwaukee Tool & Equipment
apparently has a half-nut that can be adusted to fit without much
effort.
http://www.milwtool.com/v_wood.htm

Other options get more difficult:

You can get regular steel nuts with Acme threads from McMaster for not
a lot of money, but they won't function in a vise without some work
being done on them. This might be as little as grinding to fit or may
require some welding.

Failing that you'll likely have to make a part or have one
made--doesn't take a lot of lathe to do it--a Harbor Freight 7x10 will
do it but by the time you've bought the lathe and associated tools
you've paid for several good new vises.

Vice slip debriefing Bill Schwab Metalworking 12 October 25th 05 11:42 PM
Vise advice Bill Leonhardt Woodworking 9 July 8th 05 07:32 AM
Price of Plumbing Parts H Home Repair 7 April 24th 05 03:07 PM
Email List For Arcade Game Parts techforce Electronics Repair 6 July 30th 04 08:37 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 05:50 PM