DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/144770-murphy-bed-sliding-wall.html)

Rob V February 14th 06 11:21 PM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?
I have to figure each shelf would weigh about 100-150 when loaded. Also it
looks like it hangs from the top but not 100% sure.

Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to implement it.

Thanks
-Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

Upscale February 15th 06 01:50 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

"Rob V" wrote in message news:nJsIf.11432
Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?

They look like hanging shelves to me. I'd probably try to get your client to
go with the hardware of one of the more traditional Murhpy beds.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,40842,41271

Ron Truitt February 15th 06 05:52 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

I saw the HGTV show that the web page refers to and as I recall the
center shelves glided on tracks on the floor and at the top. I think if
I were doing it I would have the center shelves have doors. That way
when they glide over they would neatly cover up the side shelves and
give a more finished appearance.

SWMBO really liked the show so I may be trying it one of these days.

Ron T

J T February 15th 06 06:00 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Tue, Feb 14, 2006, 10:21pm (EST+5) (Rob*V) doth ask:
snip Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to
implement it

I wouldn't care to have anything that heavy hanging. Besides, it's
be hard to hide the mechanism I'd think. I'd say it rolls on wheels.
I'd say use skateboard wheels. Of course, after time, you're gonna get
wheel marks on the floor, but that's easily taken care of - use a little
throw rug to hide 'em. Or, you could have the center split, so it opens
like a double door. That'd take eaither some pretty hefty hinges, or
use wheels again. Or, liskke Usacle says, usethe regular Murphy bed
furniture - could it still be called a Murphy bed if you didn't?

JOAT
I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Oleg Lego February 15th 06 06:32 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

The J T entity posted thusly:

Tue, Feb 14, 2006, 10:21pm (EST+5) (Rob*V) doth ask:
snip Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to
implement it

I wouldn't care to have anything that heavy hanging. Besides, it's
be hard to hide the mechanism I'd think. I'd say it rolls on wheels.
I'd say use skateboard wheels. Of course, after time, you're gonna get
wheel marks on the floor, but that's easily taken care of - use a little
throw rug to hide 'em. Or, you could have the center split, so it opens
like a double door. That'd take eaither some pretty hefty hinges, or
use wheels again. Or, liskke Usacle says, usethe regular Murphy bed
furniture - could it still be called a Murphy bed if you didn't?

I'm puzzled... wouldn't the unit on the referenced web page use
regular murphy bed hardware, attached to the shelving unit?

Upscale February 15th 06 06:49 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
I wouldn't care to have anything that heavy hanging. Besides, it's
be hard to hide the mechanism I'd think. I'd say it rolls on wheels.
I'd say use skateboard wheels. Of course, after time, you're gonna get
wheel marks on the floor, but that's easily taken care of - use a little
throw rug to hide 'em. Or, you could have the center split, so it opens
like a double door. That'd take eaither some pretty hefty hinges, or
use wheels again. Or, liskke Usacle says, usethe regular Murphy bed
furniture - could it still be called a Murphy bed if you didn't?

I'm puzzled... wouldn't the unit on the referenced web page use
regular murphy bed hardware, attached to the shelving unit?

Yes I think it does, the sliding shelves are simply an extra mechanism over
and above the Murphy bed hardware. However, for the purpose of replying to
the OP's potential customer, I'd guess the sliding shelf setup as referenced
is not as viable or as desirable as one would first think by looking at the
pictures. It *does* look like a pretty setup though.

Rob V February 15th 06 07:32 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Yes I think it does, the sliding shelves are simply an extra mechanism
over
and above the Murphy bed hardware. However, for the purpose of replying
the OP's potential customer, I'd guess the sliding shelf setup as
referenced
is not as viable or as desirable as one would first think by looking at
the
pictures. It *does* look like a pretty setup though.

No - the sliding shelves is what she wants - but looking at the pic, they
seem to hang down - not ride on the floor.
Im curious on the hanging/sliding mechanism.

Basically the 2 center units open (slide left and right) to reveal the bed
which then folds down.

Upscale February 15th 06 09:08 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

"Rob V" wrote in message

No - the sliding shelves is what she wants - but looking at the pic, they
seem to hang down - not ride on the floor.
Im curious on the hanging/sliding mechanism.

They are hanging down, just like curtains. It was JT that suggested the use
of skateboard wheels. It's the hanging down part that would make me anxious.
Those shelves, even without much additional stuff put on them like books or
curios, would weigh quite a bit. You'd need some pretty heavy duty slides in
my opinion. I guess all you can do at this point is to contact the person
running the referenced web page ask question about sourcing them out.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN February 15th 06 12:46 PM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Rob V wrote:
Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?
I have to figure each shelf would weigh about 100-150 when loaded. Also it
looks like it hangs from the top but not 100% sure.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/...395016,00.html

This is the episode where they install that exact unit. There are pairs of
aluminum I-track at the top; iit sounded like there was just a single track on
the bottom. It is definitely supported high and low.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Rob V February 15th 06 02:03 PM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Yea - I think im going to do that - looking at that HGTV link that mortimor
posted - it looks like they are supported top and bottom.

I may have to give them a call and see how they do it.

Thanks for everyone help.

-R

J T February 15th 06 06:57 PM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Wed, Feb 15, 2006, 11:46am (EST+5) VE
(Mortimer*Schnerd,*RN) sayeth:
snip There are pairs of aluminum I-track at the top; iit sounded like
there was just a single track on the bottom. It is definitely supported
high and low.

I wouldn't call it "supported" high, I wouldn't want much hanging
from an aluminum tradk, I'd think it was more of a guide, but it makes
sense.

Eric Berning February 15th 06 09:48 PM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Rob V wrote:
Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?
I have to figure each shelf would weigh about 100-150 when loaded. Also it
looks like it hangs from the top but not 100% sure.

Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to implement it.

Thanks
-Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

You might be able to use pocket door hardware. This website has
hardware that will hold up to 300 pounds per side
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/pdindex.htm
Will slide up to 48" per side.

Eric

Oleg Lego February 16th 06 05:30 AM

Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

The Rob V entity posted thusly:

Yea - I think im going to do that - looking at that HGTV link that mortimor
posted - it looks like they are supported top and bottom.

I may have to give them a call and see how they do it.

You might want to try looking at a store that carries nuts/bolts, etc.
in a sliding rack. In the city nearest me, Canadian Tire has several
displays that have rear racks fixed and in front of that, sliding
ones. Several of these have a LOT of screws, nuts, bolts, etc. One or
more of the BORGs around here have similar displays. You might get
some ides from them.