DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What shape table do I want? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/144214-what-shape-table-do-i-want.html)

Toller February 10th 06 07:37 PM

What shape table do I want?

My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

Teamcasa February 10th 06 07:46 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Toller" wrote in message
My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

Oval, glass top.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Locutus February 10th 06 07:46 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Toller" wrote in message
My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

I like the table that is there. :)

Frank Ketchum February 10th 06 08:05 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Toller" wrote in message
My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

I'd consider triangular with the corners knocked off. Maybe a glass middle.

Max Mahanke February 10th 06 09:34 PM

What shape table do I want?

Round, definately round. I have 2 loveseats in an L like yours and my round
table works well (about 40" diameter).

Joe Barta February 10th 06 09:42 PM

What shape table do I want?

Toller wrote:

My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a
coffee table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

Round... definitely.

Joe Barta

Josh February 10th 06 10:04 PM

What shape table do I want?

I don't think a half hexagon will look very good because your loveseats
are 90 degrees apart. A half octagon would be better.

Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg

You've gotta love Corel Draw.

Josh

Andy February 10th 06 11:26 PM

What shape table do I want?

Check it out:
http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg
You've gotta love Corel Draw.

Very nice. I'd vote for the half-octagon.
By the way, is that your pet coyote in the background?
Andy

Suanne Lippman February 11th 06 12:51 AM

What shape table do I want?

"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think a half hexagon will look very good because your loveseats
are 90 degrees apart. A half octagon would be better.

Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg

You've gotta love Corel Draw.

Josh

I am not sure I like the result, but the effort is incredible!

none February 11th 06 02:00 AM

What shape table do I want?

No...no....no.....

No table needed. Place a nice bear rug in front of that fireplace, light it
and a few candles and you'll soon see you don't need no stinkin
table.....;-)

Bob S.

but if you must......round.

Leuf February 11th 06 04:25 AM

What shape table do I want?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:37:28 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

I'd suggest locking the sliding door before the coyotes run off with
your piano (or is that an organ?)

-Leuf

Sonny February 11th 06 04:27 AM

What shape table do I want?

Why a typical style: square, triangle, half octagon? Why not kidney
bean shaped, a 30-60-90 degree roundish triangle (sleak) with 3 legs
indented well from the edges but curving outward, a 3-step tier (each
tier random shaped and each a different wood), or a random shape with a
subtle colored (not so loud) inlay chess/checker board?

Joe Barta February 11th 06 04:45 AM

What shape table do I want?

Sonny wrote:

Why a typical style: square, triangle, half octagon? Why not
kidney bean shaped, a 30-60-90 degree roundish triangle (sleak)
with 3 legs indented well from the edges but curving outward, a
3-step tier (each tier random shaped and each a different wood),
or a random shape with a subtle colored (not so loud) inlay
chess/checker board?

I think I'm going to puke. No offense intended... different strokes
and all. My tastes in furniture run traditional and conservative. The
curvy, whacked out modern art masterpieces I see in some of the
woodworking magazines are definitely not my flavor. And any piece
that's described using the phrase "kidney bean" certainly falls in
that category. I suppose one man's art is another man's WTF?

Joe Barta

Enoch Root February 11th 06 05:00 AM

What shape table do I want?

Joe Barta wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Why a typical style: square, triangle, half octagon? Why not
kidney bean shaped, a 30-60-90 degree roundish triangle (sleak)
with 3 legs indented well from the edges but curving outward, a
3-step tier (each tier random shaped and each a different wood),
or a random shape with a subtle colored (not so loud) inlay
chess/checker board?

I think I'm going to puke. No offense intended... different strokes
and all. My tastes in furniture run traditional and conservative. The
curvy, whacked out modern art masterpieces I see in some of the
woodworking magazines are definitely not my flavor. And any piece
that's described using the phrase "kidney bean" certainly falls in
that category. I suppose one man's art is another man's WTF?

Kidney bean is just an ahtsy way of referring to secretory organs,
without really doing it.

er (kidding, kidding...)
--
email not valid

Phisherman February 11th 06 12:58 PM

What shape table do I want?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:37:28 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

Ottomans are very popular today. My first thought was an oval or
round coffee table (who likes to hit their shins on a coffee table
corner?) If you went with a half-hexagon a leg at each apron
intersection makes sense.

C&S February 11th 06 03:17 PM

What shape table do I want?

I'd consider triangular with the corners knocked off. Maybe a glass

middle.

That was exactly my visual. An equalateral right triangle, Or what my wife,
the quilter would call a "half-square triangle"

I vote for legs in the corners ;-)

Guess who February 11th 06 04:22 PM

What shape table do I want?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:17:30 -0500, "C&S"
wrote:

That was exactly my visual. An equalateral right triangle, Or what my wife,
the quilter would call a "half-square triangle"

A half square isn't equilateral [all sides equal], but I think you
mean " isosceles right triangle". No matter, it's the end result that
counts, and that also depends on choice of wood.

Sonny February 11th 06 04:30 PM

What shape table do I want?

I think I'm going to puke. No offense intended... different strokes
and all. My tastes in furniture run traditional and conservative. The
curvy, whacked out modern art masterpieces I see in some of the
woodworking magazines are definitely not my flavor. And any piece
that's described using the phrase "kidney bean" certainly falls in
that category. I suppose one man's art is another man's WTF?

Joe Barta

LOL. Puke, aye? I agree with you Joe. I am also a traditionalist and
conservative. Many of my pieces are made direct from the log, not from
purchased lumber. I am often enfluenced by nature's art (Wildlife
Biology major), not by some picture in a magazine. Where, in nature,
do you see a straight line? I also work with driftwood pieces. The
Mississippi River delta area often has some fantastic driftwood pieces
to offer. The eroded/worn pieces are often already "sanded" relatively
smooth for me. I try not to have straight lines or sharp edges on my
pieces. I like my own milled lumber's edges to be the natural side of
a log. I do not delve in the artsy fartsy stick type furniture,
either, except to make some yard decor, etc., with scraps, on
occassion. I don't like to throw wood in the trash heap, so I try to
make something with everything.

The kidney bean reference (for lack of a better immediate description)
is a variation of a rectangle, but slightly curved, allowing for a
smooth flowing piece. The idea, of my suggestions, was to experiment
with shapes, other than common shapes. The tier shaped reference is
based on a driftwood piece I once saw..... woodsy, simple, yet
elegant....not resembling modern art at all. I've made a few tiered
pieces. And yes, they do have a flavor all their own.

I highly suspect many of us posters, here, have similar ideas about our
furniture and other in-home decor likes and dislikes. Modern art is
not my style, either.

Joe Barta February 11th 06 04:41 PM

What shape table do I want?

Sonny wrote:

I've made a few tiered pieces. And yes, they do have a flavor all
their own.

If you have pictures of your work, or even works you find
inspirational, I'd be interested in seeing them. Hopefully I won't
puke ;-)

Joe Barta

GeeDubb February 11th 06 05:48 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think a half hexagon will look very good because your loveseats
are 90 degrees apart. A half octagon would be better.

Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg

You've gotta love Corel Draw.

Josh

wow, is that cherry?

Gary (SA-r-us)

Toller February 11th 06 06:34 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee
table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg

I am thinking maybe half a hexagon?
Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

I like the table that is there. :)

Thanks, but I made that to donate to a charity auction, so it is just a
place to keep it for now. I love butternut; shame its so soft.

Toller February 11th 06 06:36 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Max Mahanke" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Round, definately round. I have 2 loveseats in an L like yours and my
round
table works well (about 40" diameter).

My wife agrees with you; odds are that will be what it is, but I would like
something more exotic.

Toller February 11th 06 06:56 PM

What shape table do I want?

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg
You've gotta love Corel Draw.

Very nice. I'd vote for the half-octagon.
By the way, is that your pet coyote in the background?
Andy

That's my stuffed coyote. Interestingly, my dog completely ignores it.

C&S February 11th 06 07:49 PM

What shape table do I want?

wrote:

That was exactly my visual. An equalateral right triangle, Or what my

wife,
the quilter would call a "half-square triangle"

A half square isn't equilateral [all sides equal], but I think you
mean " isosceles right triangle". No matter, it's the end result that
counts, and that also depends on choice of wood.

So true... need more coffee D'oh.

Josh February 12th 06 06:07 AM

What shape table do I want?

Just in case you want to see the round version:

http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom3.jpg

Josh