DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/143778-miracle-pitch-gum-sawdust-etc-remover.html)

mark February 7th 06 09:42 PM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Josh February 7th 06 10:05 PM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Josh

Doug Miller February 8th 06 12:38 AM

In article , "mark" wrote:
A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Washing soda works just as well, but is cheaper and *much* safer to use.

--
Regards,

Andrew Barss February 8th 06 03:16 AM

Josh wrote:
: That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
: made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

And human flesh.

-- Andy Barss

bent February 8th 06 03:37 AM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

I seems easy enough to clean for router bits regularly because they are
always coming in and out , but about TS blades, do you think either the oven
cleaner, pr the product you mention would be OK to apply while "chucked",
and/or how.

Josh February 8th 06 04:21 AM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

No. NaOH definitely needs to be rinsed very well to remove it from the
blade. It's a strong base (opposite of an acid) and over time it may
wreak havoc on the blade, the table, the arbor, your skin, wires, the
wood you're cutting, or anything else in the vicinity. If you couldn't
rinse it off, you'd want to neutralize it with an acid, but that's not
something I recommend either. Acid-Base chemical reactions have a way
of blowing up in your face, literally. Plus, that would likely
precipitate a sodium compound all over your blade, which would have to
be rinsed off anyway.

bent February 8th 06 04:32 AM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

Do you say either oven cleaner or the base produst is good, if rinsed, on
Titanium carbide router bits (gen. carbide may apply for others); and a
200-tooth steel plywood and carbide tipped combination TS blades?

Josh February 8th 06 05:19 AM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

I can honestly say I've never tried, but based on other people's
recommendations of oven cleaner for this job, I'm pretty sure it must
be safe on carbide. You could try it on a cheap router bit first just
to make sure.

Wear gloves!

B a r r y February 8th 06 12:11 PM

Josh wrote:
That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Will it also eat skin?

Barry

Doug Miller February 8th 06 12:54 PM

In article , wrote:
Josh wrote:
That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Will it also eat skin?

Yes it will -- which is one reason I keep telling people to use washing soda
instead. It's highly effective, and *much* safer than lye.

--
Regards,

Greg G. February 8th 06 01:13 PM

Doug Miller said:

In article , "mark" wrote:
A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Washing soda works just as well, but is cheaper and *much* safer to use.

I use Simple Green myself.
It's a little slower, but works fine for my needs. It's fairly cheap.
Has a pleasant scent as well, as opposed to lye and oven cleaners.
Even removes sappy, burnt pine pitch from my blades fairly easily.

FWIW,

Greg G.

bent February 8th 06 07:15 PM

Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

I read something about heating up a frypan and baking soda. Is there a
another method? I'm not concerned about time, just convenience. But I am
worrired about just leaving metal soaking in anything if I'm not sure whats
going on. Is there a good soda method?