DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tinting / dyeing epoxy (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/143673-tinting-dyeing-epoxy.html)

noonenparticular February 7th 06 01:15 AM

tinting / dyeing epoxy

I'm looking to dye epoxy opaque white to fill in some small dings in a
current project made of melamine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what
sort of dye powder (or other) to use? Or is there a product for this
application that my dags didn't turn up?

thanks,

jc

todd February 7th 06 02:23 AM

tinting / dyeing epoxy

"noonenparticular" wrote in message
. net...
I'm looking to dye epoxy opaque white to fill in some small dings in a
current project made of melamine. Does anyone have any suggestions on
what sort of dye powder (or other) to use? Or is there a product for this
application that my dags didn't turn up?

thanks,

jc

I've used acrylic paint to tint epoxy black. You can get it in small
bottles at a craft store or the craft section at Wal-Mart, e.g.

todd

David February 7th 06 02:45 AM

tinting / dyeing epoxy

noonenparticular wrote:

I'm looking to dye epoxy opaque white to fill in some small dings in a
current project made of melamine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what
sort of dye powder (or other) to use? Or is there a product for this
application that my dags didn't turn up?

thanks,

jc

here's the high tech version of tinting
http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-ez.htm

you can use powered substances too, but make a test batch. Even wood
dust can be used to help blend in an epoxy repair in lumber.

dave

B a r r y February 7th 06 12:20 PM

tinting / dyeing epoxy

noonenparticular wrote:
I'm looking to dye epoxy opaque white to fill in some small dings in a
current project made of melamine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what
sort of dye powder (or other) to use?

I've used universal colorants, acrylic artist's paint, artist's oil
paint, Solar Lux, Behlen's pigments, even Testors model paints, all with
excellent results. I needed so little colorant, I don't think the epoxy
cared what it was.

Just remember how many shades of white there are... G

As usual, practice on scrap, and trim the epoxy with a sharp tool,
sanding doesn't work that well.

Barry

noonenparticular February 7th 06 02:08 PM

tinting / dyeing epoxy

Just remember how many shades of white there are... G

Don't I know it..... I think the most accurate statement you can make about
white is that there is *no* white!

Thanks for the advice.

jc