DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue recommendation (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/142369-glue-recommendation.html)

W Canaday January 29th 06 01:40 AM

Glue recommendation

I have been asked to make a cane for an elderly friend. I intend to use
some wood scrounged from pallets that came from Brazil. The stuff is pink,
finely grained and downright stubborn about surrendering nails! It's tough
.... I never break it, but I often pull the nail heads right through the
planks nailed to it.

I just wish I knew what its name is.

However, that's not the point of this posting. What I am really bugging
you guys for is some glue advice.

I plan to make this cane by ripping 4 pieces lengthwise, gluing them to
best show the grain and then turning it on my lathe.

This is not an oily wood. What sort of adhesive do you recommend?

I am leaning toward either a polyurethane, rubberized superglue or 30
minute epoxy.

What say you?

Bill

Phisherman January 29th 06 02:08 AM

Glue recommendation

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:40:36 -0500, W Canaday
wrote:

I have been asked to make a cane for an elderly friend. I intend to use
some wood scrounged from pallets that came from Brazil. The stuff is pink,
finely grained and downright stubborn about surrendering nails! It's tough
... I never break it, but I often pull the nail heads right through the
planks nailed to it.

I just wish I knew what its name is.

However, that's not the point of this posting. What I am really bugging
you guys for is some glue advice.

I plan to make this cane by ripping 4 pieces lengthwise, gluing them to
best show the grain and then turning it on my lathe.

This is not an oily wood. What sort of adhesive do you recommend?

I am leaning toward either a polyurethane, rubberized superglue or 30
minute epoxy.

What say you?

Bill

I'd use Elmer's Woodworker's Glue. Clamp it up for 72 hours.

J T January 29th 06 03:37 AM

Glue recommendation

Sat, Jan 28, 2006, 8:40pm (W*Canaday) could
only come up with:
snip What say you?

I've been having very good results using wood glue for gluing wood.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

George E. Cawthon January 29th 06 04:09 AM

Glue recommendation

W Canaday wrote:
I have been asked to make a cane for an elderly friend. I intend to use
some wood scrounged from pallets that came from Brazil. The stuff is pink,
finely grained and downright stubborn about surrendering nails! It's tough
... I never break it, but I often pull the nail heads right through the
planks nailed to it.

I just wish I knew what its name is.

However, that's not the point of this posting. What I am really bugging
you guys for is some glue advice.

I plan to make this cane by ripping 4 pieces lengthwise, gluing them to
best show the grain and then turning it on my lathe.

This is not an oily wood. What sort of adhesive do you recommend?

I am leaning toward either a polyurethane, rubberized superglue or 30
minute epoxy.

What say you?

Bill

Resorcinol glue come as two part--one is powder
(the catalyst) and the other is liquid. It's water
proof and its deep purple should work perfect with
you pink wood which will darken with finish.
Elmers Waterproof or any name brand resorcinol
glue. I'm still using out of my purchase in 1972.
Last thing I used it on was a ceramic rabbit
with a broken ear. Ceramic rabbit is still fine
after 3 years of water, rain, snow, freezing
temperature, sunlight and 100 degree heat.

Swingman January 29th 06 01:43 PM

Glue recommendation

"J T" wrote in message

I've been having very good results using wood glue for gluing wood.

Yabbut you gotta be careful, some only works if your name is Elmer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

W Canaday January 29th 06 05:41 PM

Glue recommendation

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:37:42 -0500, J T wrote:

Sat, Jan 28, 2006, 8:40pm (W*Canaday) could only
come up with:
snip What say you?

I've been having very good results using wood glue for gluing wood.

Thank you for sharing.

robo hippy January 29th 06 05:56 PM

Glue recommendation

Pink wood? Lyptus comes to mind. It is plantation grown, pinkish, very
hard and dense. It does tend to burn a bit while cutting, is kind of
splitery, but does glue nicely. I use titebond 2.
robo hippy

cm January 29th 06 06:15 PM

Glue recommendation

I agree with JT.

Regular wood glue will be more than adequate.

cm

m...

AAvK January 29th 06 07:39 PM

Glue recommendation

I've been having very good results using wood glue for gluing wood.

Why not "maple syrup"?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

J T January 29th 06 10:47 PM

Glue recommendation

Sun, Jan 29, 2006, 11:39am (EST-3) (AAvK) doth want to
know:
Why not "maple syrup"?

I think that only works on maple wood.

Jon January 30th 06 07:05 PM

Glue recommendation

Just a guess but the pink, finely grained timber you mentioned could well be
Meranti, fits the same description!

Jon
www.woodworkersuk.co.uk - Wooden gates and garage doors handcrafted to your
own sizes!

"cm" wrote in message
I agree with JT.

Regular wood glue will be more than adequate.

cm

m...