Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Laminated plane irons?

– Colonel – wrote:
Just starting to get back into woodworking after being away for several
years.

Years ago I remember reading about some manufacturer who was selling
laminated plane irons with (I think) a layer of very hard steel
sandwiched between two layers of tougher but softer steel.

Either that, or I suppose it was just made of two layers - one harder
but more brittle layer laminated to a softer, tougher layer. (If it was
3 layers, I guess you'd have to have bevels on *both* sides of the iron.)

Anyway, it always seemed like a good idea to me (I have a Swedish
Frost's laminated steel hunting knife that cuts like a dream) and I
wondered whether anyone here had tried such an iron? Comments?

I have an old stanley # 51 spokeshave with one of these blades. I've
used it to remove lacquer from and old chairwood piece, and to shape the
chairwood into a bowsaw handle. The chairwood is something very hard,
and I've since used the spokeshave on other more pedestrian woods and it
cuts as clean as the day I last honed it. Very nice blade, a modern
stanley/buck/BorgFlavorOfTheDay blade is no comparison.

I'd like to try some chisels made this way.

er
--
email not valid