Old January 23rd 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default 4" vs 6" ducting for effective dust collecting

Art Greenberg wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:07:12 -0700, mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
Are there other opinions on this or do people pretty much agree that 4"
ducting is inadequate?

It depends. The article on Bill's site tries to explain why and when to choose
a particular size. You can't ignore the physics behind what's going on without
reducing efficiency.

Look at the velocity needed to keep the dust suspended in the airstream. If
you don't have that velocity, the dust will settle out in the pipe. Velocity
is a function of CFM and pipe cross-section. FOr a given CFM, making the pipe
larger (larger cross section) will result in lower velocity. At some point,
you end up with a situation where the dust never makes it to the blower.

Yeah, I was about to point out: it's very possible to have pipes that
are too big for your blower!

If the blower is pulling the same volume of air, the airspeed in a 6"
pipe will be half that of the airspeed in a 4". If you don't have a big
enough blower, then that can be a problem.

- Brooks

Old January 24th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Joseph Connors" wrote in message

Also, wood dust is a know carcinogen.

Sure - it you eat enough of it.

Where the shop is physically located is irelevent. The
pipe/blower/filtration combination is what matters.

It's not a matter of physical location, it's a matter of volume. Home shops
don't generate the volume of "carcinogens" that production shops do.

--

-Mike-

Old January 24th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Scott Lurndal wrote:

orthogonal

Wow! G

Barry
Old June 3rd 21, 10:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take the time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more information.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ing-73860-.htm

Old June 5th 21, 10:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Pentz wrote in
groupdirect.com:

There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread
that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take
the time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more
information.

What have you learned in the 15 years or so since that thread happened?

Is a big giant cyclone with hard to find (for me at least) 6" PVC pipe
still the awesomest way to go? Is a broom still the best way to remove
sawdust from the floor, especially when we can buy a Festool tool to do
that?

Puckdropper
(Questions 1 and 2 are serious.)

Old June 5th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 09:49:19 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Bill Pentz wrote in
sgroupdirect.com:

There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread
that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take
the time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more
information.

What have you learned in the 15 years or so since that thread happened?

Is a big giant cyclone with hard to find (for me at least) 6" PVC pipe
still the awesomest way to go? Is a broom still the best way to remove
sawdust from the floor, especially when we can buy a Festool tool to do
that?

Puckdropper
(Questions 1 and 2 are serious.)

He's found out that trolling works. All of these posts from homoaners
club are from the same person.
Old June 6th 21, 02:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 09:49:19 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Bill Pentz wrote in
sgroupdirect.com:

There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread
that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take
the time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more
information.

What have you learned in the 15 years or so since that thread happened?

Is a big giant cyclone with hard to find (for me at least) 6" PVC pipe
still the awesomest way to go? Is a broom still the best way to remove
sawdust from the floor, especially when we can buy a Festool tool to do
that?

Puckdropper
(Questions 1 and 2 are serious.)

You need some SERIOUS CFM to maintain adequate velocity in a 6 inch
pipe tor effective dust (and even moreso - chip) extraction
Old June 7th 21, 03:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 05:26:25 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in :

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 09:49:19 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Bill Pentz wrote in
ewsgroupdirect.com:

There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread
that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take
the time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more
information.

What have you learned in the 15 years or so since that thread happened?

Is a big giant cyclone with hard to find (for me at least) 6" PVC pipe
still the awesomest way to go? Is a broom still the best way to remove
sawdust from the floor, especially when we can buy a Festool tool to do
that?

Puckdropper
(Questions 1 and 2 are serious.)

He's found out that trolling works. All of these posts from homoaners
club are from the same person.

Well the guy did post under the name of Bill Pentz... and referred people
to his blog without linking it. I bet he won't ever come back to check
for replies.

Bill Pentz was a woodworker who got hit with dust causing health problems
and advocates a big cyclone to collect as much fine dust as possible as
well as PPE. I have one but never got the pipe to hook it up. (Btw, I'm
shifting to more of a "driveway woodshop" style due to a move. Anyone
interested in a tested but never used Clearvue Cyclone?)

I followed Bill's advice--the most powerful tool in my shop is the
cyclone. In all honesty, for my use it's gross overkill--I suspect
one from Woodcraft would be perfectly adequate. One thing about the
big one though, it doesn't produce that "need hearing protection
scream" that some do--more of a low rumble.
Old June 7th 21, 06:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2021 4:01 PM, Bill Pentz wrote:
There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread
that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take the
time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more information.

If you want to share thoughts do it here. We likely will not go to
another place to satisfy click bait requests.