DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Aromatic cedar ??s (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/141293-aromatic-cedar-s.html)

Paul Currie January 21st 06 02:51 PM

Aromatic cedar ??s

I am thinking about building a band saw box (the kind with the cut out
drawers) out of aromatic cedar:
Can you buy 4x6" thick aromatic cedar and if so from where?
Is it dry enough to work with?
Does all aromatic cedar have that creamy white and pinkish colors blend
through out the wood or is it a sapwood,heartwood thing?
Is this even a good choice for these kind of boxes?
THX

Bruce January 21st 06 03:11 PM

Aromatic cedar ??s

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:51:06 -0700, Paul Currie wrote
(in article ):

I am thinking about building a band saw box (the kind with the cut out
drawers) out of aromatic cedar:
Can you buy 4x6" thick aromatic cedar and if so from where?

I have several "logs" about 10"x10" that I shave boards off of as needed
so it is available (mine was given to me)
Is it dry enough to work with?

Very dry without any undue cracking.

Does all aromatic cedar have that creamy white and pinkish colors blend
through out the wood or is it a sapwood,heartwood thing?

Sapwood/heartwood. Often it does "mix" together in small clumps.

Is this even a good choice for these kind of boxes?

Great!
THX

[email protected] January 21st 06 03:35 PM

Aromatic cedar ??s

Years ago I remember that Hechinger's carried it for a little while.
I've not seen it anywhere since. Rockler has it on their website,
though.

Mike

Phisherman January 21st 06 06:35 PM

Aromatic cedar ??s

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:51:06 -0600, Paul Currie
wrote:

I am thinking about building a band saw box (the kind with the cut out
drawers) out of aromatic cedar:
Can you buy 4x6" thick aromatic cedar and if so from where?
Is it dry enough to work with?
Does all aromatic cedar have that creamy white and pinkish colors blend
through out the wood or is it a sapwood,heartwood thing?
Is this even a good choice for these kind of boxes?
THX

Cedar is readily available here in Tennessee (it grows like weeds
here). You might try a place that sells wooden fences. Whether it is
kiln dried or not I don't know, but you can dry some yourself. Not
all stock is sap or heartwood, it can vary. Cedar can have the
tendency to splinter. Another idea is to build your boxes from
another wood and line the interior with cedar veneer (available at
your home center).