Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

Default Wood DIScoloration

I collect pieces of downed wood. Mostly the burls, roots, and forks that
have interesting shapes. A lot of it is juniper, and aspen.

When I pick it up, it has a nice gray outer cast. But when cutting into it,
it has the original coloration. It is the same way on old barn wood. The
areas where you can see the different coloration from the interior wood
really clash with the gray outer color.

What can I use to make the newly cut areas like the original gray?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ucwwf.7372$JT.2153@fed1read06,
Steve B wrote:
I collect pieces of downed wood. Mostly the burls, roots, and forks that
have interesting shapes. A lot of it is juniper, and aspen.

When I pick it up, it has a nice gray outer cast. But when cutting into it,
it has the original coloration. It is the same way on old barn wood. The
areas where you can see the different coloration from the interior wood
really clash with the gray outer color.

What can I use to make the newly cut areas like the original gray?

repeated applications of tincture of time, until the desired look is achieved.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Steve B wrote:

I collect pieces of downed wood. Mostly the burls, roots, and
forks that have interesting shapes. A lot of it is juniper, and
aspen.

When I pick it up, it has a nice gray outer cast. But when
cutting into it, it has the original coloration. It is the same
way on old barn wood. The areas where you can see the different
coloration from the interior wood really clash with the gray outer
color.

What can I use to make the newly cut areas like the original gray?

Steve

Expose it to a lot of UV rays?