DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Now for Something Completely Different, Tape Races (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/138719-now-something-completely-different-tape-races.html)

Mark & Juanita January 5th 06 04:56 AM

Now for Something Completely Different, Tape Races

Ran across this in Workbench Feb 2006 magazine:
http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb293-races01.html

John B January 5th 06 06:26 AM

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Ran across this in Workbench Feb 2006 magazine:
http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb293-races01.html

snip
Amazing what blokes will do for fun.

When I was cabinet making, working at the factory on a weekend or some
other time the boss was not around we used to do similar thing, but with
belt sanders.

We'd scavenge as many extension leads as we could, clear a space on the
floor the length of the factory and fire up a couple belt sanders.

Good fun, damaged a couple of things that were not moved far enough out
of the way, and won or lost a few beers at the pub after work.
Never buggered a sander though. Must have built 'em tough in those days ;)

regards
John

[email protected] January 5th 06 06:44 AM

Now for Something Completely Different, Tape Races

Wonder if any of the competitors wound the springs in their tape
measures a little tighter.

marc rosen January 5th 06 11:11 AM

Now for Something Completely Different, Tape Races

Hey John,
I saw a small write up in an old issue of Fine Woodworking showing two
competitors at the starting ramp for a belt sander race. The sanders
were "beefed" up with longer extension cords and very coarse paper.
Marc

John B January 5th 06 11:25 AM

marc rosen wrote:
Hey John,
I saw a small write up in an old issue of Fine Woodworking showing two
competitors at the starting ramp for a belt sander race. The sanders
were "beefed" up with longer extension cords and very coarse paper.
Marc

G'day Marc,
Glad to see that I wasn't the only hooligan when I was youngster ;)

regards
John

Leon January 5th 06 03:35 PM

Now for Something Completely Different, Tape Races

Looks dangerous. Some one call OSHA. ;~)