DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/138234-british-government-use-space-satellites-track-home-improvements.html)

Mark & Juanita January 3rd 06 07:48 PM

OT - British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

On 03 Jan 2006 03:55:57 EST, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

http://www.newcriterion.com/archives...he-demography/

Get an "Account Suspended" message. What were the highlights?

Joe Barta January 3rd 06 07:59 PM

wrote:

http://www.newcriterion.com/archives...he-demography/

Get an "Account Suspended" message. What were the highlights?

Go to Google and type the URL into the search box. One of the options
you'll get is Google's archived copy. It's intact for this page.

Mark & Juanita January 3rd 06 10:23 PM

wrote:

http://www.newcriterion.com/archives...he-demography/

Get an "Account Suspended" message. What were the highlights?

Go to Google and type the URL into the search box. One of the options
you'll get is Google's archived copy. It's intact for this page.

Thanks for that.
/cynical mode on
I can see why the account was suspended.
/cynical mode off

Joe Barta January 4th 06 12:18 AM

Mark & Juanita wrote:

/cynical mode on
I can see why the account was suspended.
/cynical mode off

Heard a lady adamantly claim she was censored on CSPAN by a
convienently placed EAS broadcast. She was railing against Bush at the
time and we all know Colin Powell's son was head of the FCC.
Coincidence? I think not. She was obviously silenced.

Odinn January 4th 06 04:01 AM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

On 1/3/2006 8:19 AM Swingman mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

Personally I think all houses in a neighborhood should pay the same per
square foot of living space.

So my doublewide trailer should appraise the same as my neighbors brick
home, or the other neighbor's stick-frame home, even tho we are all
about the same floorspace and about the same acreage? Sorry, I don't
think so.

IMO, that's the kind of thinking that's got us into trouble.

You're not paying taxes for the kind of house you live in, you're paying
them for government services, REGARDLESS of the kind of house you live in.

Why should the guy with the brick house on your street pay more of his use
of the street than you?

.... think about it. ;)

Well, he does have 400 ft of road frontage, I only have 241 ft.

--
Odinn - besides, my trailer won't sell for as much as his brick house.

Odinn January 4th 06 04:08 AM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

On 1/3/2006 9:55 AM Brian Elfert mumbled something about the following:
Odinn writes:

So my doublewide trailer should appraise the same as my neighbors brick
home, or the other neighbor's stick-frame home, even tho we are all
about the same floorspace and about the same acreage? Sorry, I don't
think so.

He is talking about the property taxes for the house, not the price paid
for the house.

I know, and property tax is based on assessment of the property. Do you
think my trailer will assess as high a value has his brick home? Or the
guy with the same size brick home on only 1/2 acre instead of his 5 acres?

How do you make it fair?

Person 1 has a doublewide trailer, 1400 sq ft. on 5 acres land, 241 ft
road frontage
Person 2 has brick home, 1400 sq ft on 5 acres land, 400 ft road frontage
Person 3 has brick home, 1400 sq ft on 1/2 acre land, 100 ft road frontage

We should all pay the same amount of tax because we all have same size
houses?

Or the guy with 400 ft of road frontage should pay the most and the guy
with 100 ft road frontage should pay the least?

Or the 2 with 5 acres of land and same size houses, regardless of their
appraisal value should pay the same amount, and the guy with the smaller
piece of land should pay less?

Or, as it currently is, based on the appraisal value of the home?

I go with the later.

--
Odinn

Mad Yank January 4th 06 04:21 AM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

Ivan wrote:

Speaking as a Brit all of this is a bit of an eye-opener for me, as call it what you will, Property tax, Council tax, Rates, it appears to be a topic which generates is much 'anger and argument' on your side of the pond as it does on ours, in fact I wasn't even aware that Americans were cursed with a similar (in many people's eyes, unfair) annual property tax as we have over here.

Property taxes in the USA are the primary source of funding for
schools, police, fire services, emergency medical services and local
road building and repair. Basic rates are set by the states but local
governments can add extra levies and voters can add still more. The
tax evaluation is based on the "highest and best use" for a piece of
land and its buildings. If I own a house worth $100,000 which sits on
a piece of land that is zoned for commercial property, I may have to
pay based on the value of the property as an office building or store -
perhaps $500,000. On the other hand, my neighbour whose house is on a
"residental" lot may only pay for the value of the land for residentail
purposes - say $150,000. Thus I pay three times the tax for an
identical house maybe only a block or two away. And you think YOU have
problems?

The Mad Yank

John B January 4th 06 04:40 AM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

Ivan wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

I don't understand why property taxes are ever based on anything besides
the value of your property.

If that doesn't answer the question, then give me a good, logical reason

why

a 1500 sf, _primary_ residence for a family of four in Waco, TX pays only
$900/year, while the same house on a comparable lot in a comparable
neighborhood in the Houston area pays $7000+/year for the EXACT same

amount

of government services/public school/streets/etc?

In short, under the current "appraised valuation" system for home owners

in

Texas, many pay more and get the same/fewer government services for their
money ... that's "inequity" by any definition.

It'll never happen because the local governments are now in the mode of
protecting their turf/benefits (and bent on increasing the "tax base" in
order to do so), but IMO, a homeowner should pay a state wide rate, based

on

square footage, for a _primary_ residence and NOT appraised value.

It's time to put the "appraisal districts" out of business and make our
elected representative accountable for the amount of taxes being paid by

the

home owner.

Speaking as a Brit all of this is a bit of an eye-opener for me, as call it
what you will, Property tax, Council tax, Rates, it appears to be a topic
which generates is much 'anger and argument' on your side of the pond as it
does on ours, in fact I wasn't even aware that Americans were cursed with a
similar (in many people's eyes, unfair) annual property tax as we have over
here.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

G'day all,
Here in West Oz. most local councils base rates on unimproved land
value. They have differing scales for land zones for various purposes
eg. Residential, Retail, Industrial, Primary industry etc.
This being said, (Lucky Me) the local council is one of the few that
that base their assessment on improved value. What this does however is
stop people making noticeable improvements to the outside of their
homes. Some pretty dumpy looking houses are real palaces on the inside.
Councillors and Local Govt.. Officers = "Big frogs in little puddles).
Democracy?????
No such thing, especialy when it comes to local Gvt.
John

Bob Martin January 4th 06 09:13 AM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

in 1262016 20060103 144844 "Swingman" wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 1261666 20060102 165102 "Swingman" wrote:
"Ivan" wrote in message

I expect that by the time this lot is eventually kicked out of office,

we
will be bricking in our windows to avoid paying window tax!

I am surprised that they even need surveillance of any kind. When I was
living in England you had to have your TV license plainly visible in a

front
window and there was no shortage of private citizen busybodies who would
walk around looking for people to report ... and that was 40 years ago.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.
I've had a TV licence for 50 years and I have never heard of such a

thing!!

"Nonsense"? Must be nice to have been so blissfully unaware of what was a
notable, ubiquitous practice ... or else you just lived in a more genteel
town than Hounslow in the mid 60's.

Blissfully unaware, my foot! It has NEVER been REQUIRED to display a TV licence
as you stated. A few people might have done it where you lived, but I can't comment
on that. I checked with my 91-year-old mother and she confirmed my recollections.
We lived in a few different areas in the 40s, 50s and 60s so it was nothing to do with
where *I* lived.

Swingman January 4th 06 01:07 PM

"Bob Martin" wrote in message

A few people might have done it where you lived, but I can't comment
on that.

LOL ... first it "NEVER" happened, then a "few might have done it", but,
obviously being the know-it-all you make yourself out to be, you "comment"
anyway, even after professing that you can't?

I made it up just to aggravate you, you reckon?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

George Max January 4th 06 01:57 PM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:32:57 -0500, wrote:

The Lee County tax appraiser has use aerial photos for tax assessment
for at least 20 years. In the last decade they have gone to satellites
http://aerial.leepa.org/iws/default.asp
Use the zoom tool and you can figure what kind of cars are in the
driveway.

Until recently I never got permits but the tax man still had better
plans of my house than I did. Whenever I want to know whenn I added
someything I just go pull up my record and look.

If you think there is ANY privacy you must not come out of your
unmarked cave much.

Do you mean things like a new outbuilding or other outwardly visible
improvement like an addition or masonry fireplace?

Would they know about an internal improvement like a fully finished
attic or rearrangment of internal rooms?

Swingman January 4th 06 02:17 PM

"George Max" wrote in message

Do you mean things like a new outbuilding or other outwardly visible
improvement like an addition or masonry fireplace?

Would they know about an internal improvement like a fully finished
attic or rearrangment of internal rooms?

They (local tax appraisal district's "police") drive around here in unmarked
cars. At some point during new residential construction I most always catch
one of the dip****s, with tape measure in hand, poking around the site.

I point out that they are breaking the law by being on the site without
proof of liability insurance. Then I'll walk them back to my truck and
politely present them with their very own copy of the "as built" survey,
with the CORRECT square footage figures, otherwise they're sure to get it
wrong ... and never in the future homeowner's favor.

That's what I do, NOT what I would like to do ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Bob Martin January 4th 06 05:45 PM

in 1262277 20060104 130736 "Swingman" wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message

A few people might have done it where you lived, but I can't comment
on that.

LOL ... first it "NEVER" happened, then a "few might have done it", but,
obviously being the know-it-all you make yourself out to be, you "comment"
anyway, even after professing that you can't?

I made it up just to aggravate you, you reckon?

What's wrong with you?
Your first post said one "had to have" a TV licence displayed.
This implies legal requirement.
When I refuted this you said a few people in your street did it.
I said I can't argue with that.
Can't you tell the difference?

I don't make myself out to be any sort of authority, but I've lived in England
for almost all of my 65 years and I would know if there had ever been any such
requirement - there hasn't.
I lived in the USA for a year (1970) but I wouldn't presume to argue with an
American about what was and what wasn't the norm in that country.

Swingman January 4th 06 07:06 PM

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message

A few people might have done it where you lived, but I can't comment
on that.

LOL ... first it "NEVER" happened, then a "few might have done it", but,
obviously being the know-it-all you make yourself out to be, you

"comment"
anyway, even after professing that you can't?

I made it up just to aggravate you, you reckon?

What's wrong with you?
Your first post said one "had to have" a TV licence displayed.
This implies legal requirement.
When I refuted this you said a few people in your street did it.

Eh? ... It was _you_ who said that.

You also mentioned something about your "foot" ... removing it from your
mouth will begin your path to a more enlightened and humble existence by
learning to read before "commenting", particularly since you've already
admitted to not being qualified to do so.

I said I can't argue with that.

Then quit doing so.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Bob Martin January 4th 06 07:18 PM

in 1262350 20060104 190601 "Swingman" wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message

[...]

OK, I think I've realised the source of your confusion.
All motor vehicles are subject to an annual tax, variously called the road tax
or the vehicle licence. Proof of payment is a paper disk, about 4 inches in
diameter, which has to be clearly displayed in the vehicle's windscreen.
Is this your "front window"?

John Garand January 29th 06 05:38 PM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

ON Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:28:05 GMT, "Charles Self"
WROTE:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"George Max" wrote in message

Why? Doesn't the permit that allowed construction in the first place
have all that information already? They don't let you build houses
around here without any number of permits. And the lot size is
already known just from subdividing the neighborhood.

What's to hide in terms of additions and outbuildings? Internal
features are 'nother subject......

LOL. The permits do not seem to have any weight with them. They want to
raise my taxes in Houston so suddenly my house is larger than it was when
it was built and nothing has been added. Suddenly my house got bigger and
my garage got smaller. Down here it is the air conditioned space that
counts as the square footage that determines the tax bill. I pointed out
the problem and they changed my garage size back to the real dimensions.

Around here, if you have an"agricultural" use, permits are not required.
There is an astonishing number of quite complex buildings on property around
here that don't do much for raising chickens or vegetables, but that were
built permit-free. I halfway regret not getting a half dozen chickens, thus
being able to skip the permit process when I built my shop. Halfway.

Some states/counties have no building permit requirement if your
property is located in an unincorporated area (i.e. no city/town
claims the property as being part of that political subdivision),
regardless of whether the property has an Agricultural Use
Exemption/Valuation. Needless to say the County Tax Assessor's
personnel do keep up with building in these areas. Here in Texas, not
so very many years ago, the initial valuation was rarely changed. My
nearest neighbor's house was valued based on the small older frame
house originally there. The house had been replaced with a brick
home, yet the valuation hadn't changed in years. The state passage of
required annual re-evaluation didn't hurt me (with a newer house, in
fact my valuation went down slightly as the house was no longer brand
new), but it sure cost him when they re-assessed his valuation.

In Texas we do have the ability to informally discuss the valuation
with the appraiser responsible for the appraisal. And if the results
of that discussion are not satisfactory, we have formal "protest"
procedures where we can protest the valuation of any (or all)
components of the valuation (land, primary building, out buildings) by
appearing before a board of local citizens appointed by the Tax
office. I took my land valuation to protest this year as I could see
no basis for the increase and the appraiser didn't care to reconsider
her decision at the time I spoke with her. Never got to the board,
the appraiser responsible offered a reduction in the land valuation
of 33% just before my appointment with the board.

Rick February 1st 06 01:07 AM

British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

I live in Saskatchewan I have 4.5 acres built a 600 sq foot cabin no permit.
The municipality knows about it and didn't bother me in anyway. I never put
it on the power grid, just solar panel. Depends where you live I guese.

"John Garand" wrote in message
ON Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:28:05 GMT, "Charles Self"
WROTE:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"George Max" wrote in message

[...]