Posted to alt.construction,rec.woodworking
KMoiarty

Default Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi?

Presently have an Hitachi cordless 14.4v. impact driver. Use it for driving
screws into wood. Very pleased with it so far. But this is my first ever
impact driver, so I don't really know whether I should be impressed with
Hitachi or the fact that I'm now using an impact driver for screws rather
(ostensibly a better match) than my (corded) drill driver. That said, I am
in the market to buy a cordless drill driver (since I discovered my impact
driver is not quite as handy as a dedicated drill for when used for
drilling). But I'm kind of torn between my long time admiration of Bosch
tools and my current infatuation with Hitachi (or, at least, their cordless
drivers). And since I'm not independently wealthy, I can't afford to just
by one of each (although that would certainly make for a more fun
afternoon). Therefore I'm seeking opinions/feedback/advice/experiences
related to cordless drill drivers by Bosch and/or Hitachi (and/or any other
decent quality brand worth mentioning). Thanks in advance.

Ken

PS: Bosch and Hitachi both make a 1/2 in. drive 18v. drill driver that puts
out up to 550 in.lb. of torque, even though the Hitachi one uses a 3.0
Amp/hour battery whereas the Bosch uses an only 2.4 Amp/hour battery.

Posted to alt.construction,rec.woodworking

I just got a Hitachi cordless screwdriver and it looks like a great tool but
haven't been using it long so cant say one way or another about Hitachi,
although I think it will be ok.
I do know that for many years I have been using the DeWalt 1/2 in drill
driver(a little over $200 now in cost). It is reversible, has two main
speeds and a tease trigger. Can be used as a hammerdrill too for masonry.
There are 5 clutch settings. This tool is tough as nails, as are most
Dewalt tools I know of that my friends use. You need at least two batteries
and the 90 buck cost of their battery is a bit much. You can get off brand
batteries that are LI ion for about half the price and I have found them to
be better so far than the stock Dewalt battery.
the only problem I have noticed so far on the tool is that there are small
stress cracks developing where the case is screwed together near the screw
holes. I did not find this to detract from the performance of the tool. I
am very impressed by Dewalt products in general.

--
don paolino
"KMoiarty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.construction,rec.woodworking

"desperado" wrote in message
.. .
.
the only problem I have noticed so far on the tool is that there are
small
stress cracks developing where the case is screwed together near the screw
holes. I did not find this to detract from the performance of the tool. I
am very impressed by Dewalt products in general.

Might not be a bad idea to reinforce those cracks. Are they growing? Maybe
a bit of wicking CA

Posted to alt.construction,rec.woodworking

desperado wrote:
[...]

I don't see the original post, so I'm responding to it here.

Any decent brand of cordless tool is going to be good these days.
Hitachi, Bosch, deWalt, Makita all work.

Each brand does some things that are outstanding and others that are
just OK. For example Makita's lithium ion 18v impact driver has the
others scrambling to catch up.

But the thing to do is look at the _system_. Life is a lot easier if
every tool you have uses the same battery, and ultimately it's cheaper
as well because you can add to the system with bare tools intead of
full sets with battery and charger. And eventually you very likely
will accumulate tools, so it's best IMO to buy into the system with
the widest range.

By chance my first cordless was a deWalt 18v hammer drill. So far
it's been working fine--haven't really been beating on it but haven't
been babying it either. I've added other 18v deWalt tools over time
and they've all been fine as well. The battery packs seem expensive
but you can usually find them 2 for a hundred bucks which is a pretty
good saving over the single unit price. The latest from them is that
they have 18v lithium ion batteries that fit most of their existing
18v tools (and the price has already dropped 40 bucks on them
apparently). That said, if I needed a tool that wasn't part of the
deWalt range I'd not hesitate to go with a different brand.

I'm not really sure who has the most extensive range at this time--so
far everything I've needed I've found from deWalt.

[...]

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bosch, Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Porter Cable or Panasonic
(did I leave anybody out?) but NOT Ryobi, Craftsman, Skil or Black &
Decker. Find the one in the first group that feels best in your hand,
has the best balance etc. Buy that one. I was impressed with the
black & white 18 Volt Makita I picked up the other day, but it was
$200. The pro-quality tools will all do a fine job for you. Don't
agonize too much over the decision because this won't be the last
cordless drill you buy. You won't be passing this one down to your
grandchildren. Batteries die. Some last longer than others, but they
all die. I never got more than about 6 years of good service from
one. I've got two perfectly good drill motors hanging on my wall
hoping that someday I run across a good deal on batteries for them.
Two new batteries (if you can still get them by the time the old ones
die) cost almost as much as an entire kit with drill, charger and two
of the newest gee-whiz batteries that are smaller, lighter, more
powerful and promise to last a gazillion cycles. There's always a new
technology around the corner. So, you buy a new kit and hang on to
the old one hoping that someday you'll run across a good deal on
batteries for it.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are
not."

Posted to alt.construction,rec.woodworking

"desperado" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm not seeing the original post either. Some random thoughts include
mention that
the Hitachi replacement parts are expensive. Not having repaired a Dewalt,
it's for you
to make further comparison.

CA glues are good but don't like freezing temperatures. But if you can get
them to wick into tight cracks
and don't have to deal with cold weather, it's worth a try. If the cracks
are gapped and you are
wary of crack acceleration, you could also open the case, roughen the
plastic and put a thin film of JB Weld over and into the stressed area as
reinforcement, making sure you don't interfere with case reassembly.

You might try putting a washer of some sort under the case screw heads if
you have room.
It would be interesting to see if there is any commentary from experience on
the relative value of differing
kinds. A replaceable rubber or teflon washer might help with dampening the
vibration and would fit where
hard counterparts would not.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to alt.construction,rec.woodworking

I just bought my hubby a 1/2" Ridgid. It came with two batteries and the
charger and it's a torquie lil thing.
Lifetime warranty too, which is one of the reasons I chose it. The other
reason is that hubs is getting a little arthritus in his front paws and I
hoped the lighter one would put less srain on him.
For me it was a choice between the Milwaulkee and the Ridgid. The Milwaulkee
has a bigger battery.

I have a number of Ridgid tools and all have been very reliable. So far
(knock on wood) have never had a problem with any of them.
The one drawback I have read in the reviews is that if it is under heavy,
constant use that the batteries only last about 30 minutes. If it's for just
around the house or in a workshop I think it would be one to consider along
with the Milwaulkee. The Milwaulkee has a bigger battery. Takes longer to
charge and discharge. I have a little Milwaulkee screw gun that I have used
the hell out of over the last (guessing) ten years and it has just been a
little workhorse. They are definitely top notch tools.

Kate