Posted to rec.woodworking
mpserf44

Default Mortise and Tenon Machine?

I'm looking for a mid to high end mortise and tenon machine, not a
template, not a jig, but an x,y, or x,y,z single or multirouter machine

with multi-lever action. I think Jet used to have one, but I can't find

it on their site. The only other one I found was at
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/, but it's $2700 and I was looking

for something in the $1000 range. Can anyone suggest either a brand,
supplier, or other info?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"mpserf44" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a mid to high end mortise and tenon machine, not a
template, not a jig, but an x,y, or x,y,z single or multirouter machine

with multi-lever action. I think Jet used to have one, but I can't find

it on their site. The only other one I found was at
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/, but it's $2700 and I was looking

for something in the $1000 range. Can anyone suggest either a brand,
supplier, or other info?
Thanks.

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Woodworkers Supply in Casper, Wyoming sells a cheaper version of the
multi-router. It has more plastic in it and is more intended for the wood
hobbyist than is the industrial grade multi-router that JDS makes (the one
that's on http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com). If I remember correctly it
was around $600 plus accessories and templates. When I saw it demonstrated
at a wood show a couple of years ago it seemed to do a good job, although I
noticed that there really isn't any tolerance adjustment for fitting tenons
to mortices, except for the masking tape that the guy had wrapped around the
follower pin when he was making the tenon so it would fit tighter in the
mortice.

--
Charley

"mpserf44" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a mid to high end mortise and tenon machine, not a
template, not a jig, but an x,y, or x,y,z single or multirouter machine

with multi-lever action. I think Jet used to have one, but I can't find

it on their site. The only other one I found was at
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/, but it's $2700 and I was looking

for something in the $1000 range. Can anyone suggest either a brand,
supplier, or other info?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of money
for a passive device, isn't it?....
Am I missing something?
Posted to rec.woodworking

The WoodRat. You supply the router. Basic cost is $650, but tooling
will bring it up another $600. Get the introductory DVD for $5 and then
decide if you want to buy it. I got mine in April and am amazed.

The Multi-Router from JDS operates on a similar principle. At $2500, it
is better is some ways, but lacks the super dust collection of the
WoodRat.

Download the brochure, the manual, or order here at chipsfly.com
Click on the icon for "Machine Features". Superior support from this
company.

Gary Curtis
Los Angeles

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of money
for a passive device, isn't it?....
Am I missing something?

Nope. It was more expensive when if first came out. I suspect it will
continue to drop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of money
for a passive device, isn't it?....
Am I missing something?

The Leigh or the Multi-Router?
I've decided to build my own Dave-Multi-Router after the first or the year.
As for the Leigh tool, I saw it in action at a wood show and it worked
really well, but for the money, it was too much.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"TeamCasa" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of money
for a passive device, isn't it?....
Am I missing something?

The Leigh or the Multi-Router?
I've decided to build my own Dave-Multi-Router after the first or the year.
As for the Leigh tool, I saw it in action at a wood show and it worked
really well, but for the money, it was too much.

I meant the Leigh. I'm sure it works well‹their stuff does.
As is often the case, the flexibility which is designed into the tool
seldom gets used to its full potential. That makes it hard to justify
the expense. Low toy value.

The Multi-Router is expensive as well, and, IMHO, hardly a hobbyist
product. (unless a well-heeled hobbyist)
I can see it in a small scale production environment where it is fed
dimensioned lumber all day long. Very high toy value.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of money
for a passive device, isn't it?....
Am I missing something?

Nope. It was more expensive when if first came out. I suspect it will
continue to drop.

Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Robatoy wrote:

Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

I think we've become so used to cheap mass-produced stuff from China
that when we're presented with a limited run item made in the USA we
get sticker shock. (Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning
a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all waste
products disposed of properly and all safety equipment known to man
bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy share of taxes
all the way around. whew)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Robatoy (in )
said:

| In article ,
| "Leon" wrote:
|
|| "Robatoy" wrote in message
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php
||| This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of
||| money for a passive device, isn't it?....
||| Am I missing something?
|| Nope. It was more expensive when if first came out. I suspect it
|| will continue to drop.
|
| Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

I suspect they just felt secure in their niche. It was when I added up
the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to apply
the crowbar for my ShopBot. BTW, I noticed on the SB forum
(www.talkshopbot.com) that back in October someone had advertized
their 48x96 machine for $4K, more than what the OP is looking to
spend, but still but a _lot_ more "bang for the buck".

Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines mentioned
could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I posted earlier
today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish I hadn't wasted
money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:

Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines mentioned
could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I posted earlier
today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish I hadn't wasted
money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.

But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to
mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a
ShopBot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
Robatoy wrote:

Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

I think we've become so used to cheap mass-produced stuff from China
that when we're presented with a limited run item made in the USA we
get sticker shock.

I think we have become used to seeing what many items are really worth in a
world market. I think the bubble has burst for the labor unions.

(Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning
a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all waste
products disposed of properly and all safety equipment known to man
bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy share of taxes
all the way around. whew)

IIRC made in Canada.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

It was when I added up
the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to apply
the crowbar for my ShopBot.

OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge here,
and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular basis, but a Bot
is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of shop space is.
I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a while..
without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum system...I have
build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's what I like best about
business..the growth.

Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and
prosperous 2006.

Rob

PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of
this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting
standpoint....*s*)
http://www.shopbottools.com/images/shopbot5_1100.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:
|
|| Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines
|| mentioned could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I
|| posted earlier today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish
|| I hadn't wasted money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.
|
| But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to
| mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a
| ShopBot.

Starting out, I was afraid to consider used equipment and wasn't aware
that there were some really good buys to be had. Had I known how to
look for used equipment, I'd have paid far less (perhaps a fifth or a
fourth as much) for a good used machine.

If I'd known what I've learned _since_ buying my machine, I'd almost
certainly have paid to have a table and gantries welded up and then
built the rest myself. Three-axis controller cards and stepper motors
are available off-the-shelf.

I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill (HF)
and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the woodshop.
Either can be built using all new components for under $2K. I have a
programming background and was able to write the driver software for a
$200 controller card in about an hour. It's /not/ rocket surgery!

There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router and
I'll guess that machine put him out of pocket less than $1K, and could
be modified (only slightly) to become a wonderfully flexible CNC
joinery machine capable of out-performing any/all of the off-the-shelf
passive joinery machines - and produce joints impossible/impractical
with templates.

Best of all, there's a _lot_ of free help available. The ShopBot and
CNCZone forums (both of which welcome visitors) have been of
considerable help to me.

Now you know more than I did when I started. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Morris Dovey said:

I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill (HF)
and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the woodshop.
Either can be built using all new components for under $2K. I have a
programming background and was able to write the driver software for a
$200 controller card in about an hour. It's /not/ rocket surgery!

What program(s) do you use to generate the plot files?
Do they produce Gerber output, or something else?

I have considered this very thing, not only for woodworking, but for
drilling numerous tiny, precision holes in printed circuit boards.

Started building a small X/Y/Z drill plotter back in 92, but never
finished it due to various moves around the country. Finished most of
the software, but never completed the hardware. It read Gerber files.
The cost of big stepper motors and such relegated it to the back
burner - I was going to salvage the parts from old equipment, but
never found a good set of adequate matching motors.

There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router and

I noticed that as well. Looked over some of his pages, and meant to
reply to him, but life got in the way...

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Robatoy (in )
said:

| In article ,
| "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|
|| It was when I added up
|| the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to
|| apply the crowbar for my ShopBot.
|
| OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

:-)

| You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge
| here, and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular
| basis, but a Bot is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of
| shop space is.

Take a little time to look around at used 'Bots and at some of the
recent [ahem] Chinese offerings. If I had it to do over, I think I'd
still go for a ShopBot because of the support available from the
company and other users - but I'd have waited for a really good deal
on a used machine.

| I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a
| while.. without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum
| system...I have build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's
| what I like best about business..the growth.

The 5HP spindle is a delight; but I don't have any of the
razzle-dazzle software - and my big vacuum system is a recycled
refrigerator compressor and a set of pucks. Do plan on having dust
collection in place from the very beginning.

Also take a bit of time to look around for alternate sources for the
Colombo. You may find it available for less than the ShopBot price --
and there /are/ other good spindles available (both new and used).

| Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and
| prosperous 2006.

I wish you the same; and that 2006 is the year of the 'Bot for you -
and that you make it pay for itself before the year ends. Feel welcome
to call if I can be of help.

| PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of
| this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting
| standpoint....*s*)

http://www.shopbottools.com/images/shopbot5_1100.jpg

If you're getting really serious about this, join the ShopBot Forum
and read it every day. Major new items this past week have ranged from
a tutorial (from Quebec) about cutting curved moldings to a new blog
(from South Africa) with a /lot/ of photos showing how to set up and
do all kinds of interesting things with the 'Bot.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Leon wrote:

(Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning
a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all
waste products disposed of properly and all safety equipment
known to man bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy
share of taxes all the way around. whew)

IIRC made in Canada.

Oy vey.... even worse I'd suspect ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Greg G. (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey said:
|
|| I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill
|| (HF) and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the
|| woodshop. Either can be built using all new components for under
|| $2K. I have a programming background and was able to write the
|| driver software for a $200 controller card in about an hour. It's
|| /not/ rocket surgery!
|
| What program(s) do you use to generate the plot files?
| Do they produce Gerber output, or something else?

With the ShopBot, I have two approaches. The first is fairly
conventional: I make drawings in DesignCAD and export them as DXF
files. If the drawing consists of toolpaths, I can hand the DXF
directly to the SB cutting program. If the drawing consists of edges
(a more usual type of drawing) I use a program called PartWizard
(provided by ShopBot with the machine) that interactively converts
drawing to part program, which is then fed to the cutting program.

The second approach isn't so conventional. With this approach, I write
C programs that output a file of part program commands. This lets me
take advantage of all the capabilities of a general-purpose
programming language to do things not readily done within the limited
capabilities of normal part programs.

I've also hacked my cutting application to allow me to invoke and pass
command line parameters to an external program from within an
executing part program. This allows me to (interactively) generate and
execute part program code "on the fly".

The second approach "unhooks" me from the machine vendor, since I can
as easily emit g-code as the proprietary ShopBot codes.

I think more than 99.99% of executed commands are 'move' commands, so
it doesn't appear any more difficult to call a controller driver with
parameters for a tool move than to write a tool movement command with
those same parameters to a text file...

| I have considered this very thing, not only for woodworking, but for
| drilling numerous tiny, precision holes in printed circuit boards.

And if you add motor speed control and replace drill bit with a router
bit or end mill...

| Started building a small X/Y/Z drill plotter back in 92, but never
| finished it due to various moves around the country. Finished most
| of the software, but never completed the hardware. It read Gerber
| files. The cost of big stepper motors and such relegated it to the
| back burner - I was going to salvage the parts from old equipment,
| but never found a good set of adequate matching motors.

Important things have happened since then - E-Bay, Google,... :-)

|| There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router
|| and
|
| I noticed that as well. Looked over some of his pages, and meant to
| reply to him, but life got in the way...

Well, I think I'd have done it differently (which just goes to show
that everybody's an art critic) but the important part is that _he_
got the job done simply and inexpensively - and he was willing to
share with the rest of the world. Once the basics are in place, one
can always make refinements. I think he merits at least an "attaboy!"

Build your machine!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

"Robatoy" wrote
[snip]
You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge here,
and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular basis, but a Bot
is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of shop space is.
I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a while..
without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum system...I have
build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's what I like best about
business..the growth.

Rob,

The Colombo spindle is a nice upgrade, but don't let that hold you back.
I've done everything from machining an entire production line system (5
modules) from 1", 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" HDPE, to cutting Polycarbonate doors, to
engraving equipment nameplates (down to 14 point text) with the same
machine.

The learning curve is the hardest part ... we literally learned while
building the production line equipment. Using the provided software with the
Shopbot, and using TurboCad as the design front end, we were able to use 90%
or better from each 4' x 8' sheet of plastic. We made structural panels,
conveyers, robotics parts ... you name it, we did it. Even engraved the
company logo onto the front and rear panels of each module for that extra
nice touch. Countersunk holes for shoulder bolts was no issue ... just
another layer in the drill file (each depth was cut as a separate layer ...
the so-called 2-1/2D method). My boss did most of the toolpath layout and
used the same kerf twice whenever possible ... minimizing waste. We learned
along the way that plastic will warp just like wood if you take too much out
at once and don't give things a bit of time to relax ... and don't trust
that 1" extruded plastic to be closer than say +/- .030".

Lots more to encourage you with ... especially Shopbot support ... had one
channel go dead in the middle of cutting some conveyer sprockets, a quick
call to them and they told me how to use the spare channel until I repaired
the main drive channel. Great guys.

Our purchase was made much easier by the fact that the factory is an hour
and a half away ... we went for an on-site visit, and I then drove back and
hauled the entire shopbot back in my minivan. Assembly took two days (mostly
by myself), and to this day, I'd do it all over again.

Regards,

Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Rick M" wrote:

Our purchase was made much easier by the fact that the factory is an hour
and a half away

A very solid day's drive for me. I am 1 hour north of Detroit MI on the
Canadian side. I would still pick it up myself and spend some time
catching some training which I would also be happy to pay for. I would
insist on assembling the thing myself as I plan to maintain it.

The steel will be done here. Half the price by people I know and trust.
I'll even get it powder coated for that same price. Got a millwright in
the family as well.

Everything I'm doing is focused on the peripheral equipment so I can
feed this thing properly when it gets plopped into the middle of my
manufacturing centre.

If I have another year like 2005, I might be building a complete kitchen
per month by January 2007.....by myself. I have a wonderful supplier for
my doors, but there is one weak link in my business plan --- a
reliable/affordable edge-bander which will do vinyl as well as solid
wood edging.

So much for Freedom 55 retirement, eh?

Hey.. a guy can dream, can't he?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to
| mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a
| ShopBot.

Starting out, I was afraid to consider used equipment and wasn't aware
that there were some really good buys to be had. Had I known how to
look for used equipment, I'd have paid far less (perhaps a fifth or a
fourth as much) for a good used machine.

Hmm... sounds interesting. My situation, being a hobbyist only sort of
dictates how much I can spend without the profit justification.

If I'd known what I've learned _since_ buying my machine, I'd almost
certainly have paid to have a table and gantries welded up and then
built the rest myself. Three-axis controller cards and stepper motors
are available off-the-shelf.

I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill (HF)
and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the woodshop.
Either can be built using all new components for under $2K. I have a
programming background and was able to write the driver software for a
$200 controller card in about an hour. It's /not/ rocket surgery!

I'm a programmer as well, and do mostly assembler on micros, VB and
some C/C++ on PCs (Windows, usually, but prefer Linux). I don't know
if I have enough confidence in my programming abilities to buy the
hardware 'on spec' and to write the software later.

There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router and

Was that on the ShopBot or CNCZone forums?

I'll guess that machine put him out of pocket less than $1K, and could
be modified (only slightly) to become a wonderfully flexible CNC
joinery machine capable of out-performing any/all of the off-the-shelf
passive joinery machines - and produce joints impossible/impractical
with templates.

$1K sounds like my kind of price. For a few years, I made vinyl signs,
and kept looking at my vinyl cutter, thinking "I could make a CNC
router", but never did try. I even bought a video from a fellow who
had made a CNC table using (of all things), alternators as stepper
motors. Misplaced both the video and his name/email address years ago,
though.

Best of all, there's a _lot_ of free help available. The ShopBot and
CNCZone forums (both of which welcome visitors) have been of
considerable help to me.

I'll look for the forums.

Now you know more than I did when I started. :-)

I do, and thank you for the knowledge.

Larry
---
There are 10 kinds of people --
-- Uncle Phil
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

) said:
||| But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not
||| to mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a
||| ShopBot.
|
|| Starting out, I was afraid to consider used equipment and wasn't
|| aware that there were some really good buys to be had. Had I known
|| how to look for used equipment, I'd have paid far less (perhaps a
|| fifth or a fourth as much) for a good used machine.
|
| Hmm... sounds interesting. My situation, being a hobbyist only sort
| of dictates how much I can spend without the profit justification.
|
|| If I'd known what I've learned _since_ buying my machine, I'd
|| almost certainly have paid to have a table and gantries welded up
|| and then built the rest myself. Three-axis controller cards and
|| stepper motors are available off-the-shelf.
|
|| I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill
|| (HF) and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the
|| woodshop. Either can be built using all new components for under
|| $2K. I have a programming background and was able to write the
|| driver software for a $200 controller card in about an hour. It's
|| /not/ rocket surgery!

There are pix of both machines at Steele's website (link below).

| I'm a programmer as well, and do mostly assembler on micros, VB and
| some C/C++ on PCs (Windows, usually, but prefer Linux). I don't know
| if I have enough confidence in my programming abilities to buy the
| hardware 'on spec' and to write the software later.

Ok, then take my approach - download the controller interface spec and
write the software before you commit the funds. I found hardware
conversion kits at
http://www.stirlingsteele.com/, downloaded the I/F
specs and wrote a driver skeleton and some simplistic software unit
test code to see how difficult it might be - and it wasn't! I wrote
the code on a Linux system using nedit and gcc; but it works equally
well under MSDOS using Borland TurboC 3.0 (a blatent plug for writing
ISO/IEC-9899 compliant C code). Go ahead and give it a shot - and
e-mail me if you get stuck. I could send you the code now; but then
you'd lose the brag of having done it all yourself. :-)

|| There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router
|| and
|
| Was that on the ShopBot or CNCZone forums?

It was HERE! :-)

The gentleman's name is Martin de Roode and his website is at
http://engraving.majosoft.com/html/w...raving_mac.HTM

|| I'll guess that machine put him out of pocket less than $1K, and
|| could be modified (only slightly) to become a wonderfully flexible
|| CNC joinery machine capable of out-performing any/all of the
|| off-the-shelf passive joinery machines - and produce joints
|| impossible/impractical with templates.
|
| $1K sounds like my kind of price. For a few years, I made vinyl
| signs, and kept looking at my vinyl cutter, thinking "I could make
| a CNC router", but never did try. I even bought a video from a
| fellow who had made a CNC table using (of all things), alternators
| as stepper motors. Misplaced both the video and his name/email
| address years ago, though.

My kind of person! Martin used drawer slides as linear bearings -
something that'd never have occurred to me, although it seemed obvious
after seeing his machine. Alternators - hmmm...

http://www.talkshopbot.com
http://www.cnczone.com

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:

Ok, then take my approach - download the controller interface spec and
write the software before you commit the funds. I found hardware
conversion kits at http://www.stirlingsteele.com/, downloaded the I/F
specs and wrote a driver skeleton and some simplistic software unit
test code to see how difficult it might be - and it wasn't! I wrote
the code on a Linux system using nedit and gcc; but it works equally
well under MSDOS using Borland TurboC 3.0 (a blatent plug for writing
ISO/IEC-9899 compliant C code). Go ahead and give it a shot - and
e-mail me if you get stuck. I could send you the code now; but then
you'd lose the brag of having done it all yourself. :-)

Sounds like a plan.

It was HERE! :-)

Found it. Actually, as soon as you mentioned the drawer slides, I
realized I had independently found Martin's site a few weeks ago, and
filed it under "stuff to look at".

The gentleman's name is Martin de Roode and his website is at
http://engraving.majosoft.com/html/w...raving_mac.HTM

That's quite a nice machine.

| $1K sounds like my kind of price. For a few years, I made vinyl
| signs, and kept looking at my vinyl cutter, thinking "I could make
| a CNC router", but never did try. I even bought a video from a
| fellow who had made a CNC table using (of all things), alternators
| as stepper motors. Misplaced both the video and his name/email
| address years ago, though.

My kind of person! Martin used drawer slides as linear bearings -
something that'd never have occurred to me, although it seemed obvious
after seeing his machine. Alternators - hmmm...

Yes, I wish I could remember the fellow's name. He did some mods to
the alternators, if I remember correctly, though it seemed like it was
minimal.

|| Best of all, there's a _lot_ of free help available. The ShopBot
|| and CNCZone forums (both of which welcome visitors) have been of
|| considerable help to me.
http://www.talkshopbot.com
http://www.cnczone.com

Thanks for the pointers. I'll definitely be looking at them.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| Yes, I wish I could remember the fellow's name. He did some mods to

I don't know if it's the same person, but there's some how-to info at
http://www.technosmith.com/TsShop/Ab...rFromAlternato
r.htm.

That's not him, but it's probably a similar mod. I took a look around
on Google, and I'm pretty sure the fellow I mentioned was John Rees
(found references to John Reese as well). Don Lancaster had a
'flutterwumper' article or two that mentioned him and gave a hint or
two of the mods necessary.

John's video was a complete description of a sign-making system, in an
hour-long video. I don't know if the accuracy would be good enough.
Cutting 2-4ft. high styrofoam letters allows for a lot of inaccuracy.

I think I know where my video might be. I'll see if I can get in touch
with the borrower. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| Yes, I wish I could remember the fellow's name. He did some mods to

I don't know if it's the same person, but there's some how-to info at
http://www.technosmith.com/TsShop/Ab...rFromAlternato
r.htm.

Aha! Have a look at http://www.tinaja.com/glib/hackar2.pdf for more
info. The article starts on page 116 (Acrobat page, or 44.2 article
page).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| Aha! Have a look at
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/hackar2.pdf for more
| info. The article starts on page 116 (Acrobat page, or 44.2 article
| page).

Downloaded it last night - thanks! I think I'll stick with
store-bought steppers so I can have the 400 step/revolution
resolution.

Just to keep all of this interesting (and more than just hot air) I
hand-coded a couple of part programs last night that should let me cut
common, half-blind, and (non-mitered) full-blind dovetails using only
a straight bit. Dovetail height, width, angle, and spacing are set as
parameters; and the code self-adjusts for the size of bit used. What's
fun is that there's no 'round' anywhere except in the corners, and use
of a sufficiently small diameter bit should make that difficult to
see.

It'd be fun to build a small CNC joinery machine that could be
dedicated to gnawing on the ends of boards like this. With a bit of
luck, I'll have some pix to put on ABPW tonight. :-)

Hi-ho, hi-ho, ...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| Aha! Have a look at
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/hackar2.pdf for more
| info. The article starts on page 116 (Acrobat page, or 44.2 article
| page).

Downloaded it last night - thanks! I think I'll stick with
store-bought steppers so I can have the 400 step/revolution
resolution.

Probably just as well. The resulting stepper not only has a lot fewer
steps per revolution, but not a lot of torque. They are just not made
for that duty, and while they will work, are not anywhere near as good
as real steppers.

If you happen to know, what is the holding torque on your ShopBot
steppers?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey (in ) said:

| Just to keep all of this interesting (and more than just hot air) I
| hand-coded a couple of part programs last night that should let me
| cut common, half-blind, and (non-mitered) full-blind dovetails
| using only a straight bit. Dovetail height, width, angle, and
| spacing are set as parameters; and the code self-adjusts for the
| size of bit used. What's fun is that there's no 'round' anywhere
| except in the corners, and use of a sufficiently small diameter bit
| should make that difficult to see.
|
| It'd be fun to build a small CNC joinery machine that could be
| dedicated to gnawing on the ends of boards like this. With a bit of
| luck, I'll have some pix to put on ABPW tonight. :-)
|
| Hi-ho, hi-ho, ...

As usual, everything takes longer and costs more. Photo of first
half-blind dovetails finally posted to abpw.