DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sharpening Plug Cutter. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/136486-sharpening-plug-cutter.html)

stoutman December 20th 05 11:09 PM

Sharpening Plug Cutter.

Tried to sharpen my plug cutters (fluted, snug plug style) today for the
first time following Leonard Lee's techniques described in his book
(Complete Guide to Sharpening).

I think it went well, but I tried to sharpen the tops of the flutes and I
had difficulty maintaining the bevel angle by hand. I did ok on three of
the four flutes, but the forth ended up multi-faceted. I tried it and it
seems to still work ok.

Any advice? Insights?

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Dave Balderstone December 20th 05 11:26 PM

Sharpening Plug Cutter.

In article , stoutman
.@. wrote:

I think it went well, but I tried to sharpen the tops of the flutes and I
had difficulty maintaining the bevel angle by hand. I did ok on three of
the four flutes, but the forth ended up multi-faceted. I tried it and it
seems to still work ok.

Any advice? Insights?

Considering the internal diameter is what's critical, I wouldn't be too
worried. It *should* still work okay and far as I can cipher...

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

Edwin Pawlowski December 21st 05 03:41 AM

Sharpening Plug Cutter.

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .
Tried to sharpen my plug cutters (fluted, snug plug style) today for the
first time following Leonard Lee's techniques described in his book
(Complete Guide to Sharpening).

I think it went well, but I tried to sharpen the tops of the flutes and I
had difficulty maintaining the bevel angle by hand. I did ok on three of
the four flutes, but the forth ended up multi-faceted. I tried it and it
seems to still work ok.

Any advice? Insights?

Only insight is that if it works, you did good. I also filed mine by hand.
I bought a new one and it came with the sharpening instructions that either
did not come with or I lost on the original. Five minutes with a file and I
was cutting plugs.