Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood lumber source near Glendale California??

Besides Rockler in Pasadena, are there any good sources (better?) for
hardwood around Glendale/Burbank? Kind of spoiled coming from Portland
and I am looking for some good sources besides the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

House of Hardwoods near Sepulveda & Olympic Blvds in West Los Angeles.
310 479-4196. Good for small quantities. Very extensive varieties
available. A cheaper source for larger quantities is in East Los
Angeles. Can't get the phone number until tomorrow from a friend. I'll
respond again on Saturday.

Gary Curtis

Posted to rec.woodworking
RobW

wrote:
House of Hardwoods near Sepulveda & Olympic Blvds in West Los Angeles.
310 479-4196. Good for small quantities. Very extensive varieties
available. A cheaper source for larger quantities is in East Los
Angeles. Can't get the phone number until tomorrow from a friend. I'll
respond again on Saturday.

Gary Curtis

I used to live in Glendale, and there was a place in Burbank that sold
hardwood wholesale. Don't remember the name, but if you called ahead
with your order, and gave them some time, they would sell retail for a
very good price. Can't guarantee this is the place, but found this
site on the web.

Swaner Lumber on Magnolia Blvd.
(818) 953-5350

Now I live in Chicago and have shoveled snow about 5 times in the past
week. Parts of me miss LA.

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

wrote in message
ups.com...
Besides Rockler in Pasadena, are there any good sources (better?) for
hardwood around Glendale/Burbank? Kind of spoiled coming from Portland
and I am looking for some good sources besides the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Here are my locations

Bohnhoff Lumber Co.
3411 E. 26th st
Los Angeles, CA 90023
(323) 263-9361, (323)263-9795 fax

Lane Stanton Vance
14710 Nelson Ave.
City of Industry, CA 91744
626-968-8331 / 714-990-1371
Fax - 626-336-4460
http://www.lsvlumber.com/

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael,

Bonhoff was the place I was thinking of when I wrote that I would call
my friend. Their operation is large scale, but they offer really low
prices.

Gary Curtis

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone, this should help out a lot. L.A. is unlike
anywhere else--it's so big, has so much going on, yet is near
impossible to find what you need.

Thanks again,

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking
joey

Lane Stanton Vance good source good prices

http://www.lsvlumber.com/

Ganahl lumber also good

http://www.ganahllumber.com/

Bonhoff Lumber 3411 E 26th St Los Angeles, CA 90023 323-263-9361

Never been to this one

http://www.arroyohardwoods.com/

or this one

Reel Lumber

1321 N. Kraemer Boulevard
Anaheim, Ca 92806
(714) 632-1988 office
Bulk Yard is located at:
275 East Santa Ana St

wrote in message
ups.com...
Besides Rockler in Pasadena, are there any good sources (better?) for
hardwood around Glendale/Burbank? Kind of spoiled coming from Portland
and I am looking for some good sources besides the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

Major source for wood -- Anderson Plywood in Culver City, just off the
405 Fwy.
Four times each year they host the Old Galoot Used Tool Swap Meets.
They'll give you the shedule. Premier used tools at about 40% the cost
of eBay.

Want a Stanley No. 2 plane? A guy shows up every time with about 5 of
these. Great stuff.

Gary Curtis

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swanner (listed earlier in this thread) will sell small amounts, mostly
domestic though.
Arroyo has domestic and exotics, prices seem a bit high (higher than
Swanner).
House of Hardwoods is pretty good, if you happen to be over in that
area. They also have a wide belt sander, if you need a table top
smoothed up.
I know what you mean about LA, been here all my life and STILL can't
find things.
Yahoo yellow pages seems to help a lot, will find businesses sorted by
distance from your address.

Posted to rec.woodworking
joey

wrote in message
ups.com...
Major source for wood -- Anderson Plywood in Culver City, just off the
405 Fwy.
Four times each year they host the Old Galoot Used Tool Swap Meets.
They'll give you the shedule. Premier used tools at about 40% the cost
of eBay.

Want a Stanley No. 2 plane? A guy shows up every time with about 5 of
these. Great stuff.

Gary Curtis

Great place cant imagine a plywood selection they don't have. I hope they
keep expanding hardwood offerings/quality. Notice they replaced their
Altendorf slider with a 12" general recently

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

I buy some of my exotic hardwoods at Arroyo Hardwoods in Pasadena.
They're expensive, but they have a wide selection.

Bruce Johnson
Johnson's Extremely Strange Musical Instrument Co.
Burbank, CA

I too go there but only if I need a small amount, there are twice (+) the
price of Bohnoff or Lane Vance Stanton. I view it as a penalty for not
buying right the first time.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks again. I managed to get by Arroyo on Saturday to get the one
last piece of figured maple I needed. They did seem a little high on
some things, but not crazy. A lot of furniture sized boards and not
too much in the way of unique figured woods, but they were close and
open.

I am now compliling a list, and thanks again for the help.

Michael

source for thin lumber John Moorhead Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 09:14 PM
Source for Hardwood Pradeep Gupta Woodworking 6 May 3rd 04 07:26 PM
NEW EXOTIC LUMBER STO HOMESHOP HARDWOODS LOWHITENER Woodworking 2 September 11th 03 10:20 PM
wet lumber Scott Moore Woodworking 5 September 2nd 03 10:23 PM
Where to buy Unfinished Solid Hardwood flooring? ash_bayarea Home Ownership 1 July 21st 03 12:37 AM