DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What to do w/ old planer knives??? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/135776-what-do-w-old-planer-knives.html)

Rob V December 15th 05 06:57 AM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

Just replaced the knives in my planer.
Seems ashamed to toss out some good steel.

Any ideas??
(they have been resharpened a few times already - so other than that)

Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

AAvK December 15th 05 07:21 AM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

Make chisels and small handplane blades? Probably do it all with a grinder.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

[email protected] December 15th 05 08:51 AM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

Excellent parting tool materials if you are a turner. Also good for
tiny scrapers.

Really good for custom ground bits for hollowing or tools.

Robert

Stephen M December 15th 05 12:52 PM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

Marking knife?

That skew chisel that would be nice for getting into the corners of a
dovetail but just isn't used enough to justify buying commercial?

nk.net...

Leon December 15th 05 01:43 PM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

"Rob V" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just replaced the knives in my planer.
Seems ashamed to toss out some good steel.

Any ideas??
(they have been resharpened a few times already - so other than that)

If they are resharpenable, keep resharpening them. I know the ones in my
planer can be resharpened at least 10 to 15 times.

Pig December 15th 05 04:04 PM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

A few things come to mind; marking knives (left and right handed);
scratch stock for a beading tool; mini drawknife for fine work;
shiv......just in case some jail time is in your future.... :-)

Mutt

High Score December 16th 05 12:55 AM

What to do w/ old planer knives???

"Rob V" wrote in news:it8of.4811$3Z.4087
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Just replaced the knives in my planer.
Seems ashamed to toss out some good steel.

Any ideas??
(they have been resharpened a few times already - so other than that)

Just this weekend, I broke one of my 12" blades into thirds. They snap
quite easily in a vise. I made one piece into a nice double bladed marking
knife in less than an hour.

-G