Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Warning! I'm gonna whine about what went wrong today in the shop

First thing that goes wrong: The battery dies in one of the Shop Fox DC
controller remotes. I take out the battery and check it on a battery
tester. Can't get the needle to move off zero, but how can that be?
The remote just worked a couple of times today, but not consistently.
Open up a new package of 9V's and check it to be sure the battery tester
is ok--it's fine. So I walk back to the shop to install the new battery
in the remote when...damn!...I touched the battery to the connector w/
reverse polarity for a split second. Then I snap the battery into the
connector, expecting it to work. Wrong! The indicator LED lights up
dimly with no buttons pressed; not a good sign. My worst fears are
confirmed when I press "on". Dead as a doornail. Wonderful. Out of
warranty. Go on line to find the Shop Fox phone number. give up; call
the store and get the 1-800 from them. Call Shop Fox; "no, we don't
repair the remotes".

Now I know this is going to cost me more time and more money to correct.
Because I've had a couple of bad Shop Fox remotes already, I figure
why give them more of my money; I'll get an X-10 unit.

I call Radio Crap at the nearby mall; the kid on the phone with the
worst job at the mall (other than wearing a funky costume and jumping on
lemons all day) says he doesn't know if they have what I'm asking for.
So I drive to another RC a bit further away. The kid there offers to
help me find what I'm looking for and proceeds to give one tidbit of
good information on the remotely controlled outlets, and then follows it
with obviously erroneous info (I'm reading the package while he's
blabbing to me). We decide I'm right; well actually, the package info
is king, and it seems as if a key chain remote and an outlet will give
me a remotely controlled outlet. Pay the guy; drive home, head back
into the shop, read the directions and WHAM! Screwed again! In order
to use the remote, you have to press a button for 3 seconds to get it to
register with the Controller? or Big Thingy That Looks Expensive in the
instructions (they went all out to put a picture of the Big Thingy That
Looks Expensive right on the instruction sheet where I'd learn all about
item number THREE that I didn't buy). Mutter a few choice words, put
the outlet and remote back in their respective blister packs and call
the store. The kid makes 2 abject apologies and offers to refund my
money when I "bring it all back". He doesn't understand I already KNEW
I could "get my money back when I bring the 2 parts that won't work
without the Big Thingy That Looks Expensive".

I almost head back to RC with the 2 parts that won't work without the
Big Thingy That Looks Expensive, until I imagine how much worse the
traffic is gonna be in late afternoon. Another sigh, and I decide to
return the 2 parts that won't work without the Big Thingy That Looks
Expensive, tomorrow.

Back out to the shop to mill some walnut. I keep getting 1/4 wide marks
on the wood as it exits the DeWALT planer. Shut it off, grab a
flashlight, crank the handle 7,680 turns to raise the head far enough to
look at the rollers and blades. don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Grab another piece of wood and feed it in, noting exactly where on the
13" wide table it's going so I can figure out where the marks are coming
from exactly. (That took about 4,000 turns in the opposite direction to
get the head positioned to plane the test board.) Now I can see how far
from one end, the marks are. Another 4,000 turns to raise the head back
up for another look-see. STILL don't see any marks on the rollers or
anything out of position. the blades look pristine. This is the sort
of problem that should be easily solved with a flashlight and a close
inspection, yet I don't see ANYTHING out of the ordinary. I'll post a
picture in a bit...

Now that I've eaten supper, I'm afraid to go back out in the shop,
because sure as hell, this stuff happens in threes. Either some
equipment will break down, or it perform poorly, forcing me to regroup
and abandon the project I started this morning.

[Whining off]

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"David" wrote in message
So I walk back to the shop to install the new battery in the remote
when...damn!...I touched the battery to the connector w/ reverse polarity
for a split second.

Wonderful. Out of warranty.

What is wrong with this picture?

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"David" wrote in message

So I walk back to the shop to install the new battery in the remote
when...damn!...I touched the battery to the connector w/ reverse polarity
for a split second.

Wonderful. Out of warranty.

What is wrong with this picture?

It was out of warranty by TIME, so regardless of the problem, it's on my
dime. They have a 90 day warranty; I've had the unit over 2 years.
I've seen plenty of remotes and other products have the batteries
installed backwards for a moment (it's usually the wife that does that
sort of thing, right? ), with nary a problem.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:27:53 -0800, David wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"David" wrote in message

So I walk back to the shop to install the new battery in the remote
when...damn!...I touched the battery to the connector w/ reverse polarity
for a split second.

Wonderful. Out of warranty.

What is wrong with this picture?

It was out of warranty by TIME, so regardless of the problem, it's on my
dime. They have a 90 day warranty; I've had the unit over 2 years.
I've seen plenty of remotes and other products have the batteries
installed backwards for a moment (it's usually the wife that does that
sort of thing, right? ), with nary a problem.

Dave

Try this first:

http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servl...1345314 76710

If that doesn't work, maybe they can supply one.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

How was supper? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:16:19 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"David" wrote in message
So I walk back to the shop to install the new battery in the remote
when...damn!...I touched the battery to the connector w/ reverse polarity
for a split second.

Wonderful. Out of warranty.

What is wrong with this picture?

Know where you are going with this Ed, but I'm inclined to agree that if
this were within the warranty period, it could have been covered with the
OP feeling no ethical qualms claiming a replacement.

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed
the remote should have taken into consideration the possiblity of someone
reversing polarity on the battery, peer reviewers [they did do peer reviews
on the design, right?] should have caught that, design reviews should have
caught the potential, and any Quality/logistics engineers associated with
the design should have identified this failure point and required
mitigation/redesign.

Dead items due to reversed battery polarity should be a thing of the
60's, not the 21'st century.

Posted to rec.woodworking
NOTME

"David" wrote in message

[...]

I can't help much with the other stuff but those 4000 turns go allot faster
with a cordless drill driving them. Have a happy holiday there. Count your
blessings.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

As a big german electronics BORG advertises: "Avarice is randy..."
(In german this has at least an alliteration: "Geiz ist Geil")

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Had the same problem with one of my Shop Fox remotes. Changed batteries
and the one wouldn't work again. Just used the other remote until one day i
remembered it had a on/off switch on the side. The switch was off. Did you
check to make sure you didn't accidently push the very small on/off switch
on the side of the remote to off? --dave

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

There is a design consideration to be considered.

With the ever decreasing operational voltages that newer ICs use, a
diode voltage drop is greater fraction of the available supply
(battery) voltage.

If this is a remote with a 12V battery, then 0.65 V or so isn't a big
factor. However, with some of the new devices running off 3 or few
volts, you're cutting into the supply pretty heavily. A Schottky can
help but it's still an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Designer of US Navy ship self defense missile system pulled a diode
out of a circuit board to save that precious 0.4 cents and that board
failure rate went from almost zero to an amazing high number. A
subsidiary of the prime manufacturer operated the repair facilities.
Unabashed greed! Logistics "Manager" for the prime had a sign on the
office wall behind his desk reading "We are a profit oriented
organization"!

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

As a big german electronics BORG advertises: "Avarice is randy..."
(In german this has at least an alliteration: "Geiz ist Geil")

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

You're right of course. What was I thinking? :-)

As a big german electronics BORG advertises: "Avarice is randy..."
(In german this has at least an alliteration: "Geiz ist Geil")

I like that!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:45:36 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

There is a design consideration to be considered.

With the ever decreasing operational voltages that newer ICs use, a
diode voltage drop is greater fraction of the available supply
(battery) voltage.

If this is a remote with a 12V battery, then 0.65 V or so isn't a big
factor. However, with some of the new devices running off 3 or few
volts, you're cutting into the supply pretty heavily. A Schottky can
help but it's still an issue.

I believe the OP indicated this was a 9V battery. Still, the trade
between protecting against catastrophic damage in what is a highly likely
event (reversed polarity applied) and having to deal with the voltage drop
to protect against that event seems to come down very heavily on the
protection side.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:11:44 -0800, nospambob wrote:

Designer of US Navy ship self defense missile system pulled a diode
out of a circuit board to save that precious 0.4 cents and that board
failure rate went from almost zero to an amazing high number. A
subsidiary of the prime manufacturer operated the repair facilities.
Unabashed greed! Logistics "Manager" for the prime had a sign on the
office wall behind his desk reading "We are a profit oriented
organization"!

Do you have a cite for that? Sounds more like urban legend than reality.
There isn't sufficient volume in defense systems that the savings
accompanying removal of a component like that would even come close to
paying for the cost of the change drawings.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

As a big german electronics BORG advertises: "Avarice is randy..."
(In german this has at least an alliteration: "Geiz ist Geil")

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"David" wrote in message

So I walk back to the shop to install the new battery in the remote
when...damn!...I touched the battery to the connector w/ reverse polarity
for a split second.

Wonderful. Out of warranty.

What is wrong with this picture?

It was out of warranty by TIME, so regardless of the problem, it's on my
dime. They have a 90 day warranty; I've had the unit over 2 years.
I've seen plenty of remotes and other products have the batteries
installed backwards for a moment (it's usually the wife that does that
sort of thing, right? ), with nary a problem.

Dave

Try this first:

http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servl...1345314 76710

If that doesn't work, maybe they can supply one.

Thanks for the link, Wes. I followed the instructions, but no joy.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

tom wrote:

How was supper? Tom

g Better than my shop time!

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

NOTME wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Each time I have to raise or lower the setting more than a "skosh", my
cordless drill operated router lift comes to mind. There is no
provision on the 733 for an "assist".

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Dave Jackson wrote:

Had the same problem with one of my Shop Fox remotes. Changed batteries
and the one wouldn't work again. Just used the other remote until one day i
remembered it had a on/off switch on the side. The switch was off. Did you
check to make sure you didn't accidently push the very small on/off switch
on the side of the remote to off? --dave

oh yeah. I've slide the switch back and forth a number of times.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Prime had control of the drawing package and made multitudes of
changes that I associated with being able to charge the Dept of Navy.
What I cited is what I witnessed working for the Dept of Navy as an
EE.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:33:44 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:11:44 -0800, nospambob wrote:

Designer of US Navy ship self defense missile system pulled a diode
out of a circuit board to save that precious 0.4 cents and that board
failure rate went from almost zero to an amazing high number. A
subsidiary of the prime manufacturer operated the repair facilities.
Unabashed greed! Logistics "Manager" for the prime had a sign on the
office wall behind his desk reading "We are a profit oriented
organization"!

Do you have a cite for that? Sounds more like urban legend than reality.
There isn't sufficient volume in defense systems that the savings
accompanying removal of a component like that would even come close to
paying for the cost of the change drawings.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

As a big german electronics BORG advertises: "Avarice is randy..."
(In german this has at least an alliteration: "Geiz ist Geil")

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:13:31 -0800, nospambob wrote:

Prime had control of the drawing package and made multitudes of
changes that I associated with being able to charge the Dept of Navy.
What I cited is what I witnessed working for the Dept of Navy as an
EE.

Had to have been a reason other than cost savings for removing that
component. Maybe obsolescence or other considerations. Maybe the need to
pre-screen the parts may have resulted in some cost savings (i.e, the part
itself was really a higher cost than a few tenths of a cent), or the cost
of installation, logistics of being able to reduce part count. Even though
the prime may have had control of the drawing package, doesn't the
procurring agency have right of refusal for design changes?

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:11:44 -0800, nospambob wrote:

Designer of US Navy ship self defense missile system pulled a diode
out of a circuit board to save that precious 0.4 cents and that board
failure rate went from almost zero to an amazing high number. A
subsidiary of the prime manufacturer operated the repair facilities.
Unabashed greed! Logistics "Manager" for the prime had a sign on the
office wall behind his desk reading "We are a profit oriented
organization"!

Do you have a cite for that? Sounds more like urban legend than reality.
There isn't sufficient volume in defense systems that the savings
accompanying removal of a component like that would even come close to
paying for the cost of the change drawings.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:52:14 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

Mark & Juanita writes:

[...]

Given the current state of engineering and our level of technology, I'd
be inclined to label this as a design flaw. i.e. Double-E who designed

Given the incredible prive tag of .4 cents for a protection diode you
are sugesting to put the manufacturer out of business by needlessly
increased cost?

As a big german electronics BORG advertises: "Avarice is randy..."
(In german this has at least an alliteration: "Geiz ist Geil")

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

David wrote:
[...]

is it really that big of a deal to turn the dc on by hand
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brad Bruce

David wrote in news:PIWdnVxCYOYg7QLeRVn-
:

[Whining off]

Dave

Sounds like they sold you the wrong thing. Typical of RS.

They have what looks like the right thing on their web-site.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036303
&cp=&kw=remote+outlet&parentPage=search

It's grounded and all. No fancy expansion interface, just a remote
on/off switch.

Good luck.

Brad
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Dave wrote:

is it really that big of a deal to turn the dc on by hand

YES! It's bad enough I have to move the 20' hose to each tool 300 times
a day.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Brad Bruce wrote:

David wrote in news:PIWdnVxCYOYg7QLeRVn-
:

[Whining off]

Dave

Sounds like they sold you the wrong thing. Typical of RS.

They have what looks like the right thing on their web-site.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036303
&cp=&kw=remote+outlet&parentPage=search

It's grounded and all. No fancy expansion interface, just a remote
on/off switch.

Good luck.

Brad

Thanks Brad. the one spec I can't find listed is the amperage it will
handle. Also, the owners manual link doesn't work. When I get a chance
I'll see if there's anyone at RC that knows the amperage.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:11:44 -0800, nospambob wrote:

Designer of US Navy ship self defense missile system pulled a diode
out of a circuit board to save that precious 0.4 cents and that board
failure rate went from almost zero to an amazing high number. A
subsidiary of the prime manufacturer operated the repair facilities.
Unabashed greed! Logistics "Manager" for the prime had a sign on the
office wall behind his desk reading "We are a profit oriented
organization"!

Defense contractors should be giving charity to the U.S. Government?

Do you have a cite for that? Sounds more like urban legend than reality.
There isn't sufficient volume in defense systems that the savings
accompanying removal of a component like that would even come close to
paying for the cost of the change drawings.

Ain't that the truth. I worked on the Phoenix missile

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-54.html

from the time I hired on with Hughes as an electronics tech and
worked on an experimental assembly line building the first 30
production prototype missiles, to the time that I was the Responsible
Engineer for the solid-state transmitter. Almost 20 years. Our
program manager required that -any- change, even a parts value change,
be evaluated at the all-up missile level. This was after subassembly
and unit level testing, all performed after temperature
stress-screening and included full environmental (temperature, shock
and vibration) testing.

Later in my career I was a group head in a components engineering
department, where we supported all programs. I can guarantee that the
preparation of the component drawings, and change paperwork cost more
than -any- component, even some pricey subassemblies ever did.

Furthermore, each military branch had a program office in our facility
and their represenatives were always involved in design reviews, if
they chose to be.

After retiring from Hughes, I was asked to hire on with Raytheon,
after they bought Hughes. In that capacity, I worked on Standard
Missile, some varients of which are Navy "self-defense missiles."

http://www.raytheon.com/products/standard_missile/

Trust me, we didn't pull any parts out of them willy-nilly either.

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Prime issued an Engineering Change Order prior to submitting an
Engineering Change PROPOSAL to the Govt for review! Board had a very
HIGH failure rate without the diode.