Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Closet Shelves

Hello,
First off, I am a bit of a novice at woodworking. I have a large
closet 7'x12' with 8 foot celings that I would like to put some
shelving in. I am looking for some recommendations and a site with
some plans on how to build it. Here is what I would like idealy and I
am open for suggestions or other options as well:
-looks nice. If it were 2x4 shelves some way to dress up the 2x4s
-I don't want them secured to the walls as this will be temporary
storage and would like to move the shelves to the garage or another
part of the house when this room is complete. So easy to move
-resonably priced
-able to be built by a novice
-each shelf could contain about 100lbs

Any suggestions or places i could look with some good shelving plans?
Thanks for the help.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

It's tough to make a 2x4 look good without a significant tooling investment.

My dad just put a storage room (8x14 maybe) in his basement. He ended up
using plastic shelving units (probably made by someone like Rubbermaid). He
has a full woodworking shop 20 feet from the storage room, he is retired,
and he still opted to buy rather than build.

I doubt that there is much economy in what you want.

Really quick & dirty, disposable with raw 2x4's maybe.
Upscale, custom DIY built-in - sure.
Inexpensive, decent looking, movable... go to wallmart/cosco/lowes.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
First off, I am a bit of a novice at woodworking. I have a large
closet 7'x12' with 8 foot celings that I would like to put some
shelving in. I am looking for some recommendations and a site with
some plans on how to build it. Here is what I would like idealy and I
am open for suggestions or other options as well:
-looks nice. If it were 2x4 shelves some way to dress up the 2x4s
-I don't want them secured to the walls as this will be temporary
storage and would like to move the shelves to the garage or another
part of the house when this room is complete. So easy to move
-resonably priced
-able to be built by a novice
-each shelf could contain about 100lbs

Any suggestions or places i could look with some good shelving plans?
Thanks for the help.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
First off, I am a bit of a novice at woodworking. I have a large
closet 7'x12' with 8 foot celings that I would like to put some
shelving in. I am looking for some recommendations and a site with
some plans on how to build it. Here is what I would like idealy and I
am open for suggestions or other options as well:
-looks nice. If it were 2x4 shelves some way to dress up the 2x4s
-I don't want them secured to the walls as this will be temporary
storage and would like to move the shelves to the garage or another
part of the house when this room is complete. So easy to move
-resonably priced
-able to be built by a novice
-each shelf could contain about 100lbs

Any suggestions or places i could look with some good shelving plans?
Thanks for the help.

For a permanent solution that is quick, relatively inexpensive, strong and
configurable are the closet kits you see at the borgs. Metal shelving,
grids, woven metal baskets etc. These need to be fastened to the walls
however. For a temporary solution that is easily moved, look at these from
Sam's Club as an example

http://tinyurl.com/ex72m

Making something that is sturdy and moveable from wood could be more costly
and certainly more time consuming.

You did ask for other ideas.

Bob S.