Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

Default you've got to see this clock

This past week I was away working with some people on a project, one of
them showed me the info for a personal project he had made. See

http://members.iinet.net.au/~andronis/index.htm

The truly astounding, to me, is that this was his first (and only) wood
working project

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unvbelievable piece of work. I have a couple of friends that have
built scrollsaw clocks from plans purchased from Clockit, and they
thought they were doing brain surgery because of the level of accuracy
needed.

Everything is so important on this, not one piece (unless it is an hour
marker on the face) can be less than 100%.

And honestly, I am not sure which I am more appreciative of; the fact
he built it, or the fact that HE designed it and did all his own
drawings. Start to finish it is really impressive.

I enjoyed the comments, too. I remember when I showed off my first
segmented piece I made on my lathe after working my butt off to get
things to line up, fit, and plain just look OK.

One of the first comments I got was "now there's a great way to use up
your scraps!"

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
This past week I was away working with some people on a project, one of
them showed me the info for a personal project he had made. See

http://members.iinet.net.au/~andronis/index.htm

The truly astounding, to me, is that this was his first (and only) wood
working project

You gotta love the "bizarre comments". Most of us have heard them, every one
(even when not applied to the same level of craftsmanship) ... further proof
of the end result of the short-circuiting of survival of the fittest.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Swingman" wrote in message

You gotta love the "bizarre comments". Most of us have heard them, every
one
(even when not applied to the same level of craftsmanship) ... further
proof
of the end result of the short-circuiting of survival of the fittest.

Yeah, but where does the cuckoo come out?

The craftsmanship required to do this is just incredible. Of the 290 parts
in it, I doubt I could get one to have the precision needed.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Beautiful!

Have you ever seen a one hit wonder that never had anything else to
prove? I'll bet this guy is pretty good at whatever he does.

Tom in KY, maybe a little jealous of the guts to try something like
this?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

The comment that I have gotten a lot that never fails to amaze me is "you
can't make one of those, you have to buy them". I'm a machinist and tool
maker. My response always is, "you want to bet"?
I'm sure that he has gotten comments like that a lot on various things he's
done over the years. Joe Average generally doesn't have a clue.

"Swingman" wrote in message

You gotta love the "bizarre comments". Most of us have heard them, every

one
(even when not applied to the same level of craftsmanship) ... further

proof
of the end result of the short-circuiting of survival of the fittest.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

The craftsmanship required to do this is just incredible. Of the 290

parts
in it, I doubt I could get one to have the precision needed.

I wouldn't be too sure about that ... I know that every time I visit your
site I get hungry.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

CW wrote:
The comment that I have gotten a lot that never fails to amaze me is "you
can't make one of those, you have to buy them". I'm a machinist and tool
maker. My response always is, "you want to bet"?

snip
I've had that very comment many times in relation to furniture and other
things I have made.
Used to get it a lot when I had just finished my apprenticeship,
especially by relatives.When I'd say "Of course I can I'm a
cabinetmaker. Who do you think makes the items in the shops". I'd
receive a stunned sort of silence then you'd see the lights slowly come on.
Sort of milk comes from a bottle, Never thought about a cow.
regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The truly astounding, to me, is that this was his first (and only) wood
working project

The next question is: How long did it take him to make it?

The escapement took 3 months, and there are 290 parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The truly astounding, to me, is that this was his first (and only) wood
working project

The next question is: How long did it take him to make it?

The escapement took 3 months, and there are 290 parts.

Look further down the page. It says,

a.. Design, Drafting and Manufacture Period
a..
a.. 3,000 Hours over a 2.5 year period.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Suspect he's also a really nice, down to earth person as well. Most
folks who are that good, and know they are that good don't have anything
prove and are typically just good, neat folks to be around. It's those
people who are mediocre and afraid someone will see through their
mediocrity that are usually arrogant pains in the @$$ to have to deal
with.

I feel that the truly intelligent and talented people have a better
personality because they do not as often become frustrated with their
inadequaticy to express or accomplish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..
Look further down the page. It says,

a.. Design, Drafting and Manufacture Period
a..
a.. 3,000 Hours over a 2.5 year period.

And that is still pretty fast for a beginner. Some beginners are still
pondering left or right tilt. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
SteveB

Please post the link to this clock. I missed it in the original posts.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:59:00 +0000, John B wrote:

CW wrote:
The comment that I have gotten a lot that never fails to amaze me is
"you can't make one of those, you have to buy them". I'm a machinist and
tool maker. My response always is, "you want to bet"?

snip
I've had that very comment many times in relation to furniture and other
things I have made.
Used to get it a lot when I had just finished my apprenticeship,
especially by relatives.When I'd say "Of course I can I'm a cabinetmaker.
Who do you think makes the items in the shops". I'd receive a stunned sort
of silence then you'd see the lights slowly come on. Sort of milk comes
from a bottle, Never thought about a cow. regards
John

I've been a machinist and tool / die-maker. I've done production work with
tolerances of only a few millionths (.000030"+-) and did it extremely well
(10,000 parts, 3 rejects). I never sniff at other peoples work. Good tips
its hat to good.

And that clock is good.

Another poster commented that if an assembly does not just fall together,
it's wrong. I would only add that the exception to that rule is when the
resistance is intentional. (see "Classes of Fit" in "Machinery's
Handbook"). I typically do my woodwork to 'sliding fit' with the intention
of doing one test fitting before final assembly. With that class of fit,
you don't get many trial fittings before the class of fit is lost. But
there is something very comforting about having the parts lightly hold
alignment while I grab for the clamps & cauls.

The OP did one heck of a job and has every right to be pleased with the
outcome.

Maybe for his next project he could model the known universe, with orbits.

;-)

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"SteveB" wrote in message
Please post the link to this clock. I missed it in the original posts.

Steve

http://members.iinet.net.au/~andronis/index.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
This past week I was away working with some people on a project, one of
them showed me the info for a personal project he had made. See

http://members.iinet.net.au/~andronis/index.htm

The truly astounding, to me, is that this was his first (and only) wood
working project

On his website he makes the truly disheartening remark that out of 100
people, only a couple of mathematicians appreciate what he has accomplished.

I'm not a mathematician (though I've got a degree in math), but I sure
appreciate the effort involved. And I see there are plenty of others here
that do, too. Hundreds more, if not thousands, I'm willing to bet. When I
was 11, sitting idle after finishing my math exercises quickly, I conceived
of building a wooden clock, and I actually started hacking at it a few years
later. I didn't get very far, but still hope to revive that project
someday. I see the bar has been set pretty high, though.

Please pass along our appreciation, and thanks for showing it to us.

- Owen -