Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly wood lathe vs Jet vs General, etc

Any ideas concerning the purchase of a lath for an entry level wood
turner?

The prices for the Grizzly sound "too good to be true"?

Any experienced turners willing to talk?

Thanks,

CW

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

I like my Delta.
try rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any ideas concerning the purchase of a lath for an entry level wood
turner?

The prices for the Grizzly sound "too good to be true"?

Any experienced turners willing to talk?

Thanks,

CW

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any ideas concerning the purchase of a lath for an entry level wood
turner?

The prices for the Grizzly sound "too good to be true"?

Any experienced turners willing to talk?

Conventional wisdom says get one of the "Mini" or "Midi" types from the
brand-name guys. Realize that your investment will be about twice what you
pay for the lathe itself to get turning, almost three times to turn anything
you like with convenience.

Then realize how great a bargain old iron, which normally comes with the
tools, at least, can be.

From what's being said out there, once you get about the 200 dollar or
better range, the Grizz stuff will do. Not a big saving, but some take the
funny threads and the rough finish in stride.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Fri, Dec 9, 2005, 6:23am George@least (George) who doth publicly claim:
Conventional wisdom says get one of the "Mini" or "Midi" types snip
Not a big saving, but some take the funny threads and the rough finish
in stride.

Conventional wisdom? I must be listening to "unconventional
wisdom" then, because I figure anything you can do on a small lathe, you
can do on a big lathe. But, you sure can't do big stuff on a small
lathe.

MY HF lathe doesn't have any funny threads, and the finish isn't
bad. The "quality" of it is at least at good as a lot of way higher
priced lathes. Ran me around $150 tops, lathe, tools, and plywood to
make the stand. Plus, it's now painted yellow.

JOAT
A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the
weekends.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

I saw the Grizzly midi in their Springfield store and it looked pretty
good - similar to the Jet. However, their 14" machine didn't quite stand up
to the 14" Jets and Deltas in personal inspection or a couple of magazine
reviews of a couple years ago. I went with the Jet 1442 but it has
increased in price substantially since I bought mine.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

The Grizzly prices are most certainly true.

Although I own an older Delta that I inherited from my dad, a couple of
neighbors have Grizzlys and they turn some very nice things with them.
(There is no HF in my vicinity so I cannot speak about them.) IMO the
skill of the craftsman counts more than the price of the tool he uses.
But since you're just starting out I don't think you can go wrong with
any 20th Century lathe that you can afford and which will fit in
whatever nook of your shop that you have set aside for it. That said, go
for the largest turning diameter that you can afford, and don't overlook
the gap-bed lathe for this purpose, so that you can turn bowls --
because everybody turns bowls at some point -- and diameter is more
important than length when it comes to bowls.

J.

wrote:
Any ideas concerning the purchase of a lath for an entry level wood
turner?

The prices for the Grizzly sound "too good to be true"?

Any experienced turners willing to talk?

Thanks,

CW

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article , "George" George@least
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any ideas concerning the purchase of a lath for an entry level wood
turner?

The prices for the Grizzly sound "too good to be true"?

Any experienced turners willing to talk?

Conventional wisdom says get one of the "Mini" or "Midi" types from the
brand-name guys. Realize that your investment will be about twice what you
pay for the lathe itself to get turning, almost three times to turn anything
you like with convenience.

Closer to 3x

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

Ralph E Lindberg writes:
I wouldn't purchase a Grizzly lathe for one reason. The 1x12TPI
headstock they use. Rather then the more standard 1X8TPI or
1-1/4x8TPI.

I have one of the 1x12 headstocks, and have no problem getting chucks
and faceplates for it. *Sharing* chucks and headstocks is a different
story, and it's always interesting to set up for the craft fairs and
demos.

All else being equal, yeah, a 1x8 thread is preferred. That's also a
common pipe fitting, so if you're into making your own faceplates and
such, it's the way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article KNImf.11408$OK6.838@trnddc03,
"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

Do you have one of their band saws?

If so, how do you rate it?

yes, although it's not made any more... works and was (as with all
their tools) took more time to setup and get rigged then my
Delta/DeWalt/Maikita tools

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org