Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Jefferson

Default Planer and drift wood

Will I damage my planer by putting some really dry drift wood from salt
water through it. The wood is really hard and dry?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will I damage my planer by putting some really dry drift wood from salt water through it.

Careful! There a good chance there's embedded sand (or worse) in the
wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

You'll nick your blades to smithereens. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
Will I damage my planer by putting some really dry drift wood from salt
water through it. The wood is really hard and dry?

Belt sand it first, but still be ready to sharpen/replace the planer blades.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

"Dan Jefferson" wrote:

Will I damage my planer by putting some really dry drift wood from salt
water through it. The wood is really hard and dry?

You won't do them any good.

I'm curious, with all the neat things you can do with drift wood, why
would you want to put it thru a planer?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Dan Jefferson" wrote:

Will I damage my planer by putting some really dry drift wood from salt
water through it. The wood is really hard and dry?

If it's anything like the driftwood on the Upper Left Coast, it will have
sand, shells, bits of shell, mebbe rocks, and perhaps a critter or three.
Depending on the original source, it could also have nails, spikes, bob
wire and bullets. How much do you like your planer?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

Assuming no metal in the wood, this is a good project for blades that need
to be sharpened anyways.
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Dan Jefferson" wrote:
Wanted to flatten it to make a small stool or table.

OK, fine, but why _driftwood_ for heaven's sake? Can't you find something
that's a bit closer to flat already?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Dan Jefferson wrote:
Wanted to flatten it to make a small stool or table.

In that case, why not sand it?

You would be amazed what some 24 grit discs on a right angle sander can
achieve.

(BTW, it's a basic boat building tool.)

Use a straight edge as a batten, to find the high spots as you go.

When you get close, switch to a fairing board.

Since this is a relatively small piece, you won't need a big fairing board.

Mount some 24 grit flooring paper on a wooden concrete float with some
rubber cement and you are off and running with a one hand fairing board
about 3"-4" wide, 18" long.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Jefferson

Great idea and much thanks. Have plenty of sand paper and lots of the
required resources.

Dan J

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.net...
Dan Jefferson wrote:
Wanted to flatten it to make a small stool or table.

In that case, why not sand it?

You would be amazed what some 24 grit discs on a right angle sander can
achieve.

(BTW, it's a basic boat building tool.)

Use a straight edge as a batten, to find the high spots as you go.

When you get close, switch to a fairing board.

Since this is a relatively small piece, you won't need a big fairing
board.

Mount some 24 grit flooring paper on a wooden concrete float with some
rubber cement and you are off and running with a one hand fairing board
about 3"-4" wide, 18" long.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Dan Jefferson wrote:
Great idea and much thanks. Have plenty of sand paper and lots of the
required resources.

You're welcome.

BTW, don't waste your time with anything finer than 36 grit.

If you try, your arms will fall of before you finishG.

Been there, done that, screw the tee shirt, bring the cold beer.

Lew