DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DC remote??? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/134180-dc-remote.html)

Geo December 4th 05 09:51 PM

DC remote???

I know nothing about electrical loads, etc. so I bring this question to
the forum. Can those christmas light remote controls be used on dust
collectors? Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the
consequesnces of using an 8A remote? Thanks as always.

Edwin Pawlowski December 4th 05 10:01 PM

DC remote???

"Geo" wrote in message

Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the consequesnces of
using an 8A remote?

A fire?

Buy the right equipment for the job. You can get a Long Ranger or you can
get appliance modules from Smart Home. They have 22V modules also.

Greg G. December 4th 05 10:31 PM

DC remote???

Geo said:

I know nothing about electrical loads, etc. so I bring this question to
the forum. Can those christmas light remote controls be used on dust
collectors? Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the
consequesnces of using an 8A remote? Thanks as always.

Early, even instantaneous, failure of the remote and possibly a fire.
False economy to save $50.

Greg G.

David December 4th 05 11:35 PM

DC remote???

Geo wrote:

I know nothing about electrical loads, etc. so I bring this question to
the forum. Can those christmas light remote controls be used on dust
collectors? Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the
consequesnces of using an 8A remote? Thanks as always.

Be sure to have a couple of working smoke detectors in the shop before
using those wimpy remotes.

Why not pick up a Shop Fox remote (price), or other remote intended for
the load of a DC?

Dave

Greg G. December 4th 05 11:38 PM

DC remote???

Marvin Wheeler said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
Geo said:

I know nothing about electrical loads, etc. so I bring this question to
the forum. Can those christmas light remote controls be used on dust
collectors? Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the
consequesnces of using an 8A remote? Thanks as always.

Early, even instantaneous, failure of the remote and possibly a fire.
False economy to save $50.

You would let the smoke out of it for sure.

Marv, that would be the Magic Black Smoke... ;-)

Another important consideration is that most of these Chinese
Christmas Light Remote things use a Triac for switching the lamps.
Not appropriate AT ALL for switching motor loads. They cost about
$3.00 to build, and are not worth every penny... g

FWIW,

Greg G.

arw01 December 5th 05 04:53 AM

DC remote???

X-10 3 prong tranceiver unit and a keychain remote will work great. I
believe the appliance module is the TM765 but not sure anymore.

Alan

Scott Lurndal December 5th 05 09:58 PM

DC remote???

Geo writes:
I know nothing about electrical loads, etc. so I bring this question to
the forum. Can those christmas light remote controls be used on dust
collectors? Presuming a 15A DC running on a 20A line, what are the
consequesnces of using an 8A remote? Thanks as always.

Smoke. Fire. Mayhem ensues.

scott