Junior Member

Default Frog Face Misalignment in new Stanley #4

I just bought a new Stanley #4 and after sharpening, noticed that the Frog bed was substantially misaligned to the right. It required the full swing of the lateral adjustment lever to compensate - thus negating any real value to that lever. I know I'm not dropping $350 for the tool (okay, maybe just $40), but I would expect a little better QC than that. Has anybody experienced this type of problem in the newer Stanleys?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lawrence Wasserman

--
Chipper

I haven't had the frog off a Bailey that was any newer than about the
early 60s, but if they haven't changed the design, you should be able
to just loosen the 2 frog hold down scres and center the frog on the
bed.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Limey Lurker

Has anybody experienced this type of problem in the newer
Stanleys?

Some time ago (I think it was my first ever post), I posted my comments
on the cr*p Stanley now turn out. It seems there's been no change!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:
In article ,
Chipper wrote:

I just bought a new Stanley #4 and after sharpening, noticed that the
Frog bed was substantially misaligned to the right. It required the
full swing of the lateral adjustment lever to compensate - thus
negating any real value to that lever. I know I'm not dropping $350
for the tool (okay, maybe just $40), but I would expect a little better
QC than that. Has anybody experienced this type of problem in the newer
Stanleys?

--
Chipper

I haven't had the frog off a Bailey that was any newer than about the
early 60s, but if they haven't changed the design, you should be able
to just loosen the 2 frog hold down scres and center the frog on the
bed.

At the risk of pointing out ht eobvious I'll add that you need to
remove the
blade to access those two screws. They are the same screws that are
loosened to move the frog forward and back to adjust the width of
the mouth.

Further, when you do that it would be wise to take the frog off
entriely and
inspect it and the bed for defects in the fit and finish like burrs or
gobs
of paint or other crud that might be responsible for the crooked fit.
It
might also be a good idea to apply a little paste wax to the unpainted
surfaces of the frog and bed there is a tendency for sawdust and crud
accumulate in those areas, which seems to promote corrosion.

--

FF