DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/132766-2-1-2-2-adapter-dc.html)

W Canaday November 25th 05 07:16 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a critter? The nearest Rockler
and Woodcraft store deny that it exists.

My bandsaw came with a dust port meant for use with a shop vac and having
a 2" OD. I need to get from that to a 2 1/2" DC hose.

TIA, Bill

Dave November 25th 05 07:24 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

I've been looking for one too. The only thing I found that will fit is the
hose end of my Sears DC. Please post if you find one.

m...

Lobby Dosser November 25th 05 08:25 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

W Canaday wrote:

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a critter? The nearest Rockler
and Woodcraft store deny that it exists.

My bandsaw came with a dust port meant for use with a shop vac and having
a 2" OD. I need to get from that to a 2 1/2" DC hose.

TIA, Bill

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10472

or look for "universal dust adapter". I bought one from Woodcraft many
moons ago. You can cut off the necessary chunk to fit your requirements.

Penn State also has them:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dhmulti.html

arw01 November 25th 05 03:43 PM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

I got mine from a local professional hose making company. $4.00 if I
recall.

BillyBob November 25th 05 03:58 PM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
W Canaday wrote:

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a critter? The nearest Rockler
and Woodcraft store deny that it exists.

My bandsaw came with a dust port meant for use with a shop vac and

having
a 2" OD. I need to get from that to a 2 1/2" DC hose.

TIA, Bill

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10472

or look for "universal dust adapter". I bought one from Woodcraft many
moons ago. You can cut off the necessary chunk to fit your requirements.

Penn State also has them:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dhmulti.html

Neither of those will work. The confusion comes from which perspective
specifications interpret outside and inside diameter measurements. The OP
is looking for a 2" O.D. The adapter to fit this would have a 2 1/4" O.D.
None of the universal adaptors support a 2 1/4" O.D. They have 2" and 2
1/2" O.D.

Bob

no(SPAM)vasys November 25th 05 04:13 PM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

BillyBob wrote:

Neither of those will work. The confusion comes from which perspective
specifications interpret outside and inside diameter measurements. The OP
is looking for a 2" O.D. The adapter to fit this would have a 2 1/4" O.D.
None of the universal adaptors support a 2 1/4" O.D. They have 2" and 2
1/2" O.D.

Bob

Grizzly Tools sells a 2.5" to 2.25" adapter (G7938) for $5.50.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/Main/134

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

BillyBob November 25th 05 04:31 PM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

"W Canaday" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know where I can obtain such a critter? The nearest Rockler
and Woodcraft store deny that it exists.

My bandsaw came with a dust port meant for use with a shop vac and having
a 2" OD. I need to get from that to a 2 1/2" DC hose.

TIA, Bill

Bridging between the dust collection world and the vacuum world is pretty
frustrating. The "wand" fitting that comes with many shop vacs is typically
2 1/2" O.D. on one end and 2 1/4" O.D. (2" I.D.) on the other. It can be
used as an adapter, perhaps even cut in half and still work. You would have
a lot easier time if you were using 4" hose, as adaptors for shop vac hose
are readily available.

Bob

hylourgos November 26th 05 12:10 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

Easiest and cheapest way: grab some 2" PVC, cut to length you need,
then use a heat gun to soften it up. It becomes quite elastic: you can
expand it around 30-40%. Use the 2.5" piece to force it in and wiggle
around until the elasticized PVC adapts to the correct size. Use gloves
to handle it, and do it outside to avoid any fumes from the plastics.

Around $2 for an 8' length of PVC = 24, 4" thick and sturdy adapters
or $6-$7 each for the Borg authorized adaptors.

Your choice,

BillyBob November 26th 05 02:10 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

Grizzly Tools sells a 2.5" to 2.25" adapter (G7938) for $5.50.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/Main/134

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

BINGO! Jack, you da man!!!! That's exactly what the OP was seeking and its
the first such adaptor I've seen anywhere like it. Maybe I'm just not well
traveled, but I figure if Woodcraft, Penn state, Rockler, Amazon, Peachtree,
Hartville, Coastal tool, Lee Valley, etc. do not have one, its pretty rare.

Bob

outrider November 26th 05 04:40 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

Check your local Home Depot or Lowes store if they don't have have one
they should be able to tell you where to get one .

W Canaday November 26th 05 05:10 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:10:35 +0000, BillyBob wrote:

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

Grizzly Tools sells a 2.5" to 2.25" adapter (G7938) for $5.50.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/Main/134

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

BINGO! Jack, you da man!!!! That's exactly what the OP was seeking and
its the first such adaptor I've seen anywhere like it. Maybe I'm just not
well traveled, but I figure if Woodcraft, Penn state, Rockler, Amazon,
Peachtree, Hartville, Coastal tool, Lee Valley, etc. do not have one, its
pretty rare.

Bob

Well ALL RIGHTY!

Only one small snag ... the shipping charge is more than the part -- $7.25
before taxes for a $5.50 part.

Hmmmm ... maybe I could spray the duct tape a matte black...

Arrrgh. Ah well ...

No real problem ... it looks like they have some other items I am missing,
too. I'll just browse around until I have enough of an order that that
slap-in-the-face shipping charge loses some of its sting.

Good link, guys and excellent detective work. Thanks a metric tonne.

Bill

Toller November 26th 05 05:39 AM

2 1/2" to 2" adapter for DC

It takes a little time, but you can make anything like that out of PVC pipe
fittings and duct tape.
Get the closest fitting and increase the diameter as necessary with tape.