DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gluing painted surfaces (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/132136-gluing-painted-surfaces.html)

Mike W. November 21st 05 03:02 AM

gluing painted surfaces

Hello,

New to the group. I have a question about surface preparation for gluing.
My wife bought one of those unfinished kits (boot bench for entryway) and
painted most all surfaces already. In order to glue this together, do I
need to sand the paint off or will I get an acceptable result on the paint?
Thank you.

Mike

brandom11 November 21st 05 09:49 AM

gluing painted surfaces

You'll need to get back to bare wood. You might consider scraping to
get the paint off, usually its is faster than sanding. Most glues
don't stick well to paint and even if they did you still be limited by
the bond of the paint to the wood.

Mike W. November 21st 05 01:54 PM

gluing painted surfaces

On 21 Nov 2005 01:49:24 -0800, "brandom11" wrote:

You'll need to get back to bare wood. You might consider scraping to
get the paint off, usually its is faster than sanding. Most glues
don't stick well to paint and even if they did you still be limited by
the bond of the paint to the wood.

Thank you for your help.

MIke