DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   15 OR 16 gauge for crown molding? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/132132-15-16-gauge-crown-molding.html)

Mike November 21st 05 12:30 AM

15 OR 16 gauge for crown molding?

I know it was probably discussed here before...(i've search but did not find
my answer)

so I have some crown molding to install in my house....
so is a 16ga good enough? or a 15ga?
I already have a 18ga....

TIA

--

\\Mike
----------------

David November 21st 05 01:17 AM

Mike wrote:

I know it was probably discussed here before...(i've search but did not find
my answer)

so I have some crown molding to install in my house....
so is a 16ga good enough? or a 15ga?
I already have a 18ga....

TIA

you'll get over 200 hits on Google Groups if you type in "15 ga nailer"
Dave

loutent November 21st 05 01:59 AM

15 OR 16 gauge for crown molding?

In article , Mike
wrote:

I know it was probably discussed here before...(i've search but did not find
my answer)

so I have some crown molding to install in my house....
so is a 16ga good enough? or a 15ga?
I already have a 18ga....

TIA

Hi Mike,

I am not a pro, but have installed quite a bit
of crown in our house (and some relatives!)
over the years.

I just completed some crown in our FR and
decided that I would actually back it up with
pre-cut triangles that I shot into studs/rafters.

After installing these 'wedges', I applied a dab
of glue and shot the crown using 1.25 brads.

For the wedges, I used 2.5 (16 ga), but at least they
were through solid material and not just
hanging out there (hate the thoughts of that for
some reason).

Lou

Mike O. November 21st 05 03:44 AM

15 OR 16 gauge for crown molding?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:30:31 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

so I have some crown molding to install in my house....
so is a 16ga good enough? or a 15ga?
I already have a 18ga....

It kinda depends on were it's installed. We don't use anything
smaller than 15ga on crown if we shoot it to a ceiling either through
rock or to a nailer. If we install it on top if cabinets where we
have wood to wood we'll use pins.

Mike O.