DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/129309-router-bits-single-flute-vs-double-flute.html)

joe2 November 14th 05 03:37 PM

Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

What is the performance and or application difference between router straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff bits that do the same thing?

dadiOH November 14th 05 04:38 PM

joe2 wrote:
What is the performance and or application difference between router
straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff
bits that do the same thing?

1. single flute cuts rougher but heat up less.

2. single flute bits are usually plunge bits

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Toller November 14th 05 04:41 PM

"joe2" wrote in message

What is the performance and or application difference between router
straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff
bits that do the same thing?

I asked the same question after buying some single flute at an auction. I
was told they were for corian, which makes sense since I bought some corian
at the same auction.

Leon November 14th 05 05:57 PM

"joe2" wrote in message

What is the performance and or application difference between router
straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff
bits that do the same thing?

Oddly the single flute bit offers better performance than the 2 flute bit.

Per the Amana tool site,
Single flute allows for faster feed rates, greater chip clearance and
maximum stock removal.

http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/45100.html

[email protected] November 14th 05 06:54 PM

Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

A single flute cutter can be stiffer if the grinding design permits.
Resistance to deflection is a good property. Most 2 flute cutters exist
because of dynamics. A single flute OGee, e.g. will blow itself up at
25,000RPM.
Single flute bits have balance problems and are rarely found on cutters
with diameters much than the shank.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

[email protected] November 14th 05 08:45 PM

Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Hey dadiOH, your site is down.

Robert

dadiOH November 15th 05 12:23 AM

Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

wrote:
dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Hey dadiOH, your site is down.

Robert

Nope.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Morris Dovey November 15th 05 01:12 AM

joe2 (in ) said:

| What is the performance and or application difference between router
| straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff
| bits that do the same thing?

A single flute on a straight bit allows retention of more "meat" on
the shank - resulting in a stronger bit with less deflection.

A single-flute bit requires a slower feed and/or higher spindle speed.

More flutes permit higher feed rates and/or lower spindle speed. When
I have a choice I opt for three flutes, with two flutes as my second
choice. I've found that more flutes produces a smoother cut, perhaps
because with the spiral cutters I use, one of the flutes is always
bearing against the side of the cut.

When cutting with a V-bit, three flutes allows "parking" the bit
briefly without enlarging the cut at the parking spot.

The bits may be intended to produce the same-shaped cut but their
behavior is different. Choose the bit that provides the behavior
characteristic(s) you deem most important for the job you're doing.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

joe2 November 17th 05 03:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input. Surprising how many folks selling router bits weren’t able to answer that question.